Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R-T

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone diving this unit with any regularity and pushing into overtime?
I've been using the Vyper(s) for several years and am either going to have to change computers or run tables as I have developed a dislike for the Vyper algorithm. Main sore point is the accumulation of deco time if you make deep stops. A lot of my dives are in the 150' range which means I'll end up with a ~20 minute stop in the 10'-15' range. Settings are A0 P0 so it's set as liberal as it will go.
The only units I'm considering are another "recreational" computer ie Vytec or switch to a "tec" unit ie HS Explorer.

You got the wrong rig, man.

You know by now, you get no lovin' from your Vytec until you get to 15 feet. You continue to accrue deco obligations, even if you're making rational, reasonable stops.

I used one (and still do, several times a week) for about 5 years. Now its just a high priced gauge. Mine will hit eBay soon.

If you're regularly diving to 150+ with the thing, its time for a new rig. The Vytec is not for you.

Unless you use it as a $600 gauge. Then its a damn fine gauge.

---
Ken

Although I haven't used it, my Vytec has an option to program it for deep stops. If you do the ones it calls for, I don't think you get penalized in total deco. But I don't do staged decompression diving, so I could be wrong.

The Vytec has the same algorithm as the Vyper, the only difference is you can reduce the RGBM adjustments to the underlying Buhlmann model, so I doubt that you'll see any difference.

As for the Vytec DS, how does it work exactly? Doesn't it just put a one or two minute stop in a similar fashion as the safety stop but uses the same algorithm as the non-DS model?

I use my Vytec for all levels of diving. It has turned into an expensive bottom timer as I no longer run it in computer mode. I like it though because I can still download my dive profiles. I use a UWATEC digital bottom timer for a backup.

paulwlee:
The Vytec has the same algorithm as the Vyper, the only difference is you can reduce the RGBM adjustments to the underlying Buhlmann model, so I doubt that you'll see any difference.

As for the Vytec DS, how does it work exactly? Doesn't it just put a one or two minute stop in a similar fashion as the safety stop but uses the same algorithm as the non-DS model?
extracts from the manual :

The Suunto RGBM/ Deep Stop Algorithm
The Suunto Reduced Gradient Bubble Model (RGBM) utilized in the Vytec predicts both dissolved and free gas in blood and tissues of divers.
It is a significant advance on the classic Haldane models, which do not predict free gas. The advantage of Suunto RGBM is additional safety through its ability to adapt to a variety of situations and dive profiles.
The Suunto Vytec allows the user to choose between a traditional Recommended Safety Stop and Deep Stops. Deep Stops are decompression stops that occur deeper than traditional stops, with the purpose of minimizing microbubble formation.
In order to optimize how to respond to different added risk situations an additional category of stop, referred to as a Mandatory Safety Stop, has been introduced. Also a countdown for the Recommended Safety Stop is included. The combination of stop types will depend on the specific dive situation.
3.2.3. Deep Stops
The Suunto Vytec allows the user to choose a deep stop algorithm instead or the traditional recommended safety stop. Deep Stops are decompression stops that occur deeper than traditional stops, with the purpose of minimizing microbubble formation and excitation.
The Suunto RGBM model calculates deep stop iteratively, placing the first stop about halfway between the maximum depth and the ceiling depth. After the first deep stop has been completed, another deep stop will be prompted halfway to the ceiling, and so on until the ceiling depth is reached.
The deep stop length can be set to 1 or 2 minutes.
Enabling the Deep Stops disables the Recommended Safety Stops, but the Mandatory Safety Stops due to e.g. continuous ascent rate violations are still prompted.

Back
Top Bottom