New dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have had a Matrix dive computer since I started diving in 1997 and it just recently crapped out on me. I'm looking at getting the gekko as a replacement but I'm open to suggestions. The requirements I'm looking for are

-Must come in a console version
-I'd prefer to have my pressure on a seperate mechanical gauge instead of on teh computer
-Air/EANx compatible (I'm getting EANx certified tomorrow:D)

I don't need a dive computer that can land the space shuttle, but I'm looking for a computer in the $300-$450 range if possible.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Oceanic VEO 180 or 250. I'd really consider getting it wrist mounted though.

Can the hockey puck design of those oceanics fit in a Pivot console? My matrix hockey puck is 1 inch thick and just under 2.25" in diameter. It would save me a bit of money if I could just use my old console with a new computer popped in.:D

I just replaced my matrix with a Gekko but haven't had a chance to dive with it yet.
I got the wrist Gekko and just removed the computer section from my US Divers console.
My Matrix developed cracks around the back and finally flooded, is that what killed yours?

Not sure what killed mine. It looks dry. I can boot it up and it will do it's countdown calibration but then just shuts off. Only about 20 or so dives on it. Oh well, I need a EANx computer now;-)

We have TUSA IQ-700's and Dive Rite NiTek3's. We have had no problems with either of these models (apart from Dive Rite's PC dive logging software which was never resolved by Dive Rite). The lack of a back lighting feature on the NiTek3 vs having this on the IQ-700 makes the IQ-700 a bit more user friendly - IIRC, the Gekko has no back lighting feature.

Currently, you can buy more-than-one-mix capable Nitrox dive computers for close to the same $$$ for single mix dive computers. Here's one example from Dive Rite. Although this one is not console mountable, others are such as the DR Duo, TUSA IQ-700, Apeks Quantum, Cressi Sub Archimede II, Suunto Vytech. All will have different pricing depending on competition.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekplus.shtml

These are typically marketed to the beginning 'tech' diving folks, but it's not necessary to fit that description to perceive an advantage for a more than 1 mix capable dive computer. Even if only diving one mix (say 32% O2) on recreational profiles, it could be handy to have 21% O2 in the dive computer to switch to, if anyone else in your dive group is diving 21% O2, and you wind up having to get breathing gas from them. One case in point for us was the Blue Hole in Belize, when we were the only 2 divers on the boat diving Nitrox (28% O2 for that dive). Everyone else including the dive guides were diving 21% O2.

Food for thought. YMYV.

Gekko can be found for around $250 US. Look around on the boards you can find a hack to enable downloads. It's a good little computer, apart from the poor marketing choice of disabling downloads on the low-end product. If I'm night-diving, I have a light, so a backlight for the screen seems a superfluous feature.

I wear my computer on right wrist. At a safety stop I can hold onto the line with right hand and look at computer easily which is typically turned with the face towards the inside of my wrist. Left hand is free to look at SPG or do other things needed.

A while ago I was having my reg set checked out, and although I had a simple sturdy brass SPG set, I did have a boot around it. I had a bit of leak bubbling out from the boot on one dive so I took it in to a shop for a look. What this boot hides is corrosion, I had some of that. The boot also I think traps seawater and promotes the problem. After cleaning up the SPG and replacing the O-rings , I run it "naked" (sans boot). A simple bit of line around the hose and a snap lets me clip off where I need it. On my left hip most times. On my left shoulder D-ring so I can look down to see it if I'm keeping a close eye on pressure.

The new Aeris XR2 dive computer is great, and it's Nitrox ready. Some features: Small in size, but with easy-to-read oversized digits, bar graphs, and intuitive icons. Loaded with features but still very user friendly with two operating buttons.
http://www.crazyscuba.com/cat_nitrox_ready.cfm

We sell the TUSA IQ700, but it's a wrist model. The IQ800 is a Scubalab "Tester's Choice" from scubalab and is a great computer too.

All great computers in your price range and feature needs.
We've got our moving sale going on too, so you'll save $$$ on all your gear (put in the discount code). If you have any questions give me a call, we're here to help!

thanks,
Britt

The Oceanic wristmounts can be popped out so you just have a console module. Dunno if it fits in your console, though. I think some of these are available just as a module (no boot at all) so you might find the dimensions online. You could also do hose mount to mount it near your existing console.

Oceanic's Veo 250 will fit your needs perfectly. I've been diving it since the summer and I love it. Don't know if it will fit your console, though. I know it fits with the swiv console. While we're at it can I ask when the manufacturers will agree on a standard size for these things?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom