New Suunto Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukas

Reaction score
I saw this on the deco stop, but its not posted here, so I'll put it up for all to see. This is gonna make a lot of people happy, especially the deep-stop option. Pretty sweet:

Sunnto introduces two new computers at the DEMA...

Cobra 2 and Vyper2

It looks like their gimmick digial compass is on every their line :wink:
One good thing is a bigger number on the screen.....:)

Electronic compass and tilt sensor
Matrix display
2 gas switching
Optional Deep Stop
Dive profile displayed graphically on the screen

Like its forerunner, the Suunto Vyper2 includes Gauge and Nitrox modes with the added feature of gas switching.

For divers using enriched air, the Suunto Vyper2 can be programmed in one-percent increments for nitrox mixtures between 21 and 100 percent oxygen. Divers can also adjust oxygen partial pressure between 0.5 and 1.6 bar in 0.1-unit increments. Adjustments can be applied to both mixes.

The Suunto Vyper2 uses the Suunto Deep Stop RGBM algorithm, that features continuous decompression for optimal ascent time. For deeper dives, the Deep Stop option adds further protection with a series of "deep stops" between your maximum depth and ceiling.

The Suunto Vyper2 boasts a built-in dive simulator, allowing you to test potential dives before dropping into the water. It also features large digits and a new Matrix display that clearly shows critical dive information including dive profile graphs. After the dive, you can download the data to your PC and easily maintain a detailed logbook.

The Suunto Vyper2 can be worn as a wrist unit with a protective boot, or mounted on a two-gauge console.

Other Main Features:

3 operating modes (Air, Nitrox, Gauge)
Complete decompression stop data
Suunto Deep Stop
80 h logbook and profile memory*
Lifetime history memory
Profile memory bookmark
PC interface (optional)
Multi step ascent rate indicator
Personal adjustment
Altitude adjustment 0-3000 m (0-10000 ft)
Automatic safety stop countdown
Extended decompression range (ceiling, floor)
Built-in dive simulator
Calendar clock
Alarm clock
Electroluminescent illumination (backlight)
User-replaceable battery
Depth display range 0-150 m (0-450 ft)
Audible alarms
Max. depth alarm
Display shield and protective boot
User-selectable metric or imperial units
Suunto RGBM

Availability 1st quarter 2007

* Default factory setting.
Can go up to 240 hours.
Vyper2_medium_2f703.jpg

So, not what? Vyper will be on sale soon?

I had a chance to see the cobra at dema, it looks good, the numbers are bigger so its gonna be easier to read, also its gonna have a $100 increase on the price, but now u dont need to buy the compass which goes for $70 so i think its gonna be a great buy next year, also the D9 is now available witha titanium strap

oscar_2424:
...its gonna have a $100 increase on the price, but now u dont need to buy the compass which goes for $70 so i think its gonna be a great buy next year...
Having been a hiker, geocacher, and occasional orienteer for quite a while, I must say that I have yet to find a navigationally-useful integrated electronic compass. I'm not saying there can't be one, and if you just need "which end is north" on a bridge span, wreck, or reef, you'll be set. On the other hand, if you're going to be navigating without references, you'll almost certainly want a "real" compass.

Frankly, though, tossing in one gas change and mixes to 100% has the potential to be worth $100 to me. (An instructor friend of mine was diving in Cozumel with a loaner Vytec in addition to his normal computer, and on his last dive, decided to "simulate" accelerated offgassing on 100% O2 at his safety stop. He was rather amazed at how quickly his N2 loading plummeted... He'll be in the next advanced nitrox and deco class.)

So how much will the retail price be for the Vyper2?
Is there really any advantages of digital compass as oppose to normal diving compass? If so, what r they?
Thx in advance

The advantage of a digital compass in your computer is that if you have your computer, you have the compass. That's about it. (Having it as a backup wouldn't hurt, but in SPGs and compasses, I just find analog to work better.)

was at my LDS yesterday and they had dummy demo versions of vyper2 and cobra2. retail price is $90 over Vyper1 for the Vyper2- thats what I was told and saw in the price book (aqualung price book). I didnt ask about the cobra2, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom