Suunto Mosquito: verdict?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naga

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about to take the plunge and buy a new dc..

I would be grateful for any honest appraisals/criticism of the Suunto Mosquito.

muchos gracias...

Nice compact size, easily worn as a watch when not diving. Nitrox capable. If you've used any Suunto computers before, the logic is pretty easy.

Downsides: The numbers are small, particularly dive time, which is tucked away in the right lower corner and is very difficult to read if you are of "advanced age" (as PADI puts it -- over 50). The strap and extender the computer comes with are not easy to manipulate with gloves, and if not properly secured, can easily come loose underwater.

If you don't mind the fairly conservative algorithm and the small numbers, this is a nice, relatively inexpensive Nitrox capable computer that can double as a watch on dive trips.

thanks mate....

I have Sunto Mosquito, useful friendly, conservative and nitrox ready ...I love it

I've used one for at least 4 years. It's been fairly reliable.

My criticisms might not be relevant but are mostly about the rubbish dive manager software, and I've had a few unexpected full resets.

Best buy in the dive computer market!

Inexpensive, simple to use, comfortable to wear.

theskull

naga:
I am about to take the plunge and buy a new dc..

I would be grateful for any honest appraisals/criticism of the Suunto Mosquito.

muchos gracias...

Have one dove it for a year, liked the features and was easy to scroll thru but it crapped out after about 100 dives and Ive not been able to fix it to my satisfaction. I hesitate to use it as a backup now.

I'm using a Mosquito as my backup dive computer (next to my standard Aladin Air). It's great, it's compact, indeed if you're in the 50 age time frame the characters are a bit on the small side for good reading but up to now it's still OK, because of the watch-size it's utterly convenient to take it with you on a dive vacation.
It however "eats" batteries... I'm doing in the order of 130+ openwater dive hours per year and every 9-12 months I've to put a new battery... which fortunately I can do myself without any problem, it takes about 5mins time to open/clean/replace the battery and the Li-battery costs about USD2.
Regarding the rubber arm strap: I threw this away right from the beginning and replaced it with a cloth elastic band which fits both my bare arm (tropical waters) as well as my wetsuit as well as my drysuit, no fiddling anymore with buckles and especially in winter time with cold fingers it's a blessing... See lower right picture on http://www.torpedo.be/kompas.html (sorry, the text is in Dutch).

My husband and I love ours. As others have mentioned, it's nitrox compatible and convenient to wear, can be worn as a large-ish watch too, and I find the user interface much more intuitive than many computers. The user-replaceable battery is also a plus.

Deborah

Ok so here is one against the mosquito. My wife has one or should I say 3. Yes shes about to get her third replacement (hopefully but me i'd rather buy her a different computer altogether). Both the other two selfdestructed after less than a year. The 1st one lost all its buttons, started reseting itself during and after dives and sometimes would only turn on at the end of a dive. The 2nd one and about 8 months later started reseting itself and on the last dive she used it it registed 176ft when we were at about 115ft. We are now awiting to see if she shall get another replacement. If she does it will be no. 3 and I've heard this is not an isolated incident but rather a common problem.

Suunto are actually quite good but I would definately get a different model if you decide to go with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom