Atmos 2 downloader cable connector. What is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetFatCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What connector is at the Atmos 2 downloader cable?
I have a bunch of USB cables and $50 for another one seems to be too much.
Thanks.

WetFatCat:
What connector is at the Atmos 2 downloader cable?
I have a bunch of USB cables and $50 for another one seems to be too much.
Thanks.

It's used to connect the Atmos 2 to a PC for uploading dive information. You can then use the free software to graph your dives, calculate your SAC rate and such. $50 is a lot, but (1) the software is free (or I guess you are paying for it with the cable), (2) they are trying to make a profit so it's not just about material cost and (3) other brand dive computer cables cost even more, some times 2 or 3 times as much.

You cannot use just a regular USB cable because the dive computers/software are designed so that you have to buy the manufacturer's cable because they want to make money off of you.

What it seems to be from a technical standpoint is a USB to serial cable with a proprietary 4-pin spring loaded connector on the serial (RS-232) end. At least that seems to be what the Oceanic cables are and I think they are the same. If you can get it for $50, that's pretty good. Probably not worth the effort to build your own.

vondo:
What it seems to be from a technical standpoint is a USB to serial cable with a proprietary 4-pin spring loaded connector on the serial (RS-232) end. At least that seems to be what the Oceanic cables are and I think they are the same. If you can get it for $50, that's pretty good. Probably not worth the effort to build your own.

I think you would also need to buy the chips/wiring used in these cables and program them to fool your PC into thinking that it was the Aeris cable.

oceanic_USB_cable.jpg

Note: This is my Oceanic cable, but I think the Aeris is exactly the same except for the info on the chip I guess.

*Floater*:
I think you would also need to buy the chips/wiring used in these cables and program them to fool your PC into thinking that it was the Aeris cable.
Oops! That's the answer, thanks. I thought it's just a wiring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom