First time buying a computer... HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I've ultimately decided on a wrist computer... But what I don't get is... Do I also have to buy a pressure gauge? Or will the wrist computer do the guess work on how much air is left in my tank? Is that safe? I found some hoseless wrist computers but they're so freaking expensive!! Help me, what should I do? What should I buy? I want to feel safe with my computer and knowing how much air is left, I also like the idea of having a compass in my computer as well.

I know that was a load of questions... Sorry :blinking:

Michelle

Just my opinion: I would get the wrist computer with or without the transmitter, but also have an analog SPG. Batteries die and electronics fail, but at least your SPG won't need batteries.

In my limited experience I've had one rental computer that failed on a dive, but I had analog pressure and depth gauges, so I was able to continue the dive safely with dive tables (although a bit more conservatively). I was also on a different dive where another diver with a wrist computer and transmitter had no SPG. His computer failed...now what. The safe conservative choice would have been to abort the dive, in my opinion.

I view the wrist computer as a very helpful "tool" to use when diving, but I won't place my safety completely in the hands of a single device.

I have no experience actually using a hoseless computer with the transmitter, but if you have the $$$ it would be a nice additional tool to have. But, I would still have an analog SPG, I'm sure someone on the board is about to jump on me with both feet about the safety and reliablity of modern computers though....wait for it, wait for it.

Michelle, These are all good questions.I'll take em one at a time.
1. If you do not get an air integrated one with a wireless transmitter- Yes. You will need an spg.
2.If it is air integrated there will be no guess work. It will tell you how much you have left.
3."Guesswork" with air pressure is NEVER safe. You either know how much air you have or the dive is over.
4.Hoseles air integrated comps are expensive. No way around it. My solution is to wear a wrist mounted Oceanic veo 200 on my right wrist with a standard spg on a 24 inch hose clipped to my left hip d ring.
5. What you should do is ask these kinds of questions of your instructor also but DO NOT LET THEM PRESSURE YOU INTO GETTING SOMETHING YOU DO NOT NEED! No I did not hit the caps key by mistake!
6. You should buy what your diving style and environment requires. You most likely do not need multigas capability, you may need or want nitrox capability. IF I were to recommend one to you it would have to be ( and yes I'm biased because we are a dealer and they are just plain good comps) an Oceanic Veo 180 Nitrox or Veo 250 in a wrist mount. Look them up on Oceanics web site.
7.When you say having a compass in your computer do you mean an actual integrated digital compass or one attached to it? If an integrated digital then you are talking big bucks again. My advice is to mount the computer on one wrist and a wrist compass on the other. This is the way many divers who use wrist mounted guages do it. Why? Because it works and is easy to do. You just bring your hands together in front of you.
No need to apologize. That's what we are here for. Jim PADI DM #231934

PS fill out your profile. It can help us guage your needs and give better advice.

I would have an analog spg with or without the transmitter. To take it further, I will probably not go with the transmitter since I will have a spg anyway.

As for the compass, I heard that it's not that userfriendly when compared to the typical analog ones................no personal experiences with them as yet.

Unless you are loaded and crapping money, get a simple wrist computer and ensure you also good quality pressure and depth gauge - and a good wrist watch like a timex... If your computer quits, you can use your timex (or rolex) to head up safely in conjunction with your pressure gauge - immediately. Also, Most rental BC's come with depth and pressure gauges, so for travel you are good to vacation with your computer and have a back up so to speak.

If you advance in skills or salary, or have massive bucks, you can move your wrist computer to backup, but an new air-integrated computer for your other wrist, and keep your analog gauges and watch for the just in case... I see alot of cozumel dive masters wearing the watch on the wrist and the computer on the bc... Important tools. But ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP if you can.

On recreational dives, I use a DiveRite Duo/Tusa IQ-700 (same computer, different brand name). I use an SPG for tank pressure. I looked at wireless transmitters at one point. I decided against them for 2 reasons - cost and possibility of failure. My wrist computer cost me $375 and my SPG was $65. And the SPG has never failed. Recently on a dive, my buddies wireless computer failed. He had no idea how much air he had in his tank. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me about the failure until the end of the dive! :confused:

Newbie here, so pardon if this seems obvious. I seems to me that the advantage of the wrist computer is that you don't have that hose, but if you have an non-air-integrated wrist-mount, you need the SPG, and, therefore, still have the hose. In addition, you now have to look in two places for your critical information. If you are going to have an SPG, why not have the computer with it (for instance, a VEO-250 console with the SPG)?

Scuba Do:
Newbie here, so pardon if this seems obvious. I seems to me that the advantage of the wrist computer is that you don't have that hose, but if you have an non-air-integrated wrist-mount, you need the SPG, and, therefore, still have the hose. In addition, you now have to look in two places for your critical information. If you are going to have an SPG, why not have the computer with it (for instance, a VEO-250 console with the SPG)?

Like most gear choices, it is about weighing the pros and cons, and thinking about what is best for you. Some people might say that not having the HP hose is an advantage, but it costs ALOT for that advantage. Personally (like Rob said), I didn't get one because of the chance of failure, and because they are so expensive.

wunat:
I would have an analog spg with or without the transmitter. To take it further, I will probably not go with the transmitter since I will have a spg anyway.

I thought this way until I got a hoseless computer with a transmitter. Nice to have air usage info stored in the computer and the computer can figure time to air-out.

I dive with a watch and spg too...

Scuba Do:

Think of the question about having an air integrated computer like this... If your battery dies on your computer or transmitter (if they have a battery?) do you want to go up and end your dive? Do you end your dive completly... Or go to the back up information on your other computer? Or, do you use your watch and analog gauges and and finish your dive? Did you check the tables before you went in? Do you use your buddies computer? You may know your remaining dive time thanks to a watch... But what about how much air in your tank...?

The question is what level of safety do you want to have how much are you willing to spend, and what do you want to expand and grow your scuba kit to? I would start with a wrist computer as my first purchase after my mask and fins and snorkel. Then you are good to go anywhere in the world... Then as you learn what you like, you can get an air integrated computer wireless thingamajig and have your second computer as a BACKUP, or loaner... Dont want your trip or dive buddies trip ruined by a dead computer when you arrive in Paradise with no battery store... hehe. Or broken screen from airline security making you open your bag...

(PS, in any of those situations, i would end the dive, fix things, and start over. The redundant computer, flashlight, or gauge is there to get you HOME SAFE not to help you finish a dive so to speak. Safety first)

Back
Top Bottom