Gekko vs Vyper - SIM mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stefo2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was originally thinking about getting a Suunto Vyper, but having read through all these really interesting threads here, I'm not so sure anymore. As far as I understand it, there are three official differences:

1) Gekko isn't downloadable
2) Gekko doesn't have a backlight
3) Gekko doesn't have SIM mode.

Now I have learned that 1) is hackable if I really want it, and 2) I don't really want anyway, shining the torch on it will work just as well, maybe easier, and will probably also save battery time.

So what about 3)? Why would you need SIM mode if you have PLAN? What is the actual difference, anyway?

Thanks

I have a Gekko.

As far as I understand the simulator mode on the Vyper can lead you through a multi level dive and show you the result of different scenarios you give it.

The Gekko plan function just shows you the no decompression times for various depths based on a square profile.

Both modes take into account the residual nitrogen loading you may have from recent dives.

I agree with what Bluey said. I had a Vyper and switched to a D9 which only has PLAN. I occassionally glance at PLAN to figure out how much bottom time i'll have on the next dive...i must've used SIM on the Vyper once just for fun.

Cheers.

-J.-

From what I've gathered, the primary reason for having a simulator mode is that you can use it to see how much time you'll have based on a simulated surface interval. In other words, the Gekko can tell you what your NDLs are at present, but with the simulator, the Vyper can tell you how much time you'll have if you wait, say, 15 more minutes.

The simulator can see the future. :D

PLAN mode allows you to specify the SI too.

SIM as someone else said appears to be more for investigating multilevel profiles.

I use PLAN mode a lot- ive never found a use for SIM.

Ah, so the PLAN mode in the Vyper is more advanced than the PLAN mode in the Gekko. The former is all three tables on the dive tables, while the latter is tables 3 (RNT) and 1 ([A]MDT), i.e. just an NDL table of AMDTs, with the RNTs factored in. (It makes sense to me, at least, but I have the NAUI dive tables in my brain... not the numbers, though.)

Not sure i understand that but the vyper plan for clarification.

First thing it asks was "Surface interval?" 0:00 means it does the dive as if *now* or you dial in the extra SI time expected from current time. (1hr or whatever).

It then allows you to use the buttons to select a depth (in 3m or so increments) and just displays the NDL for that depth.

Which for 90% of what i do is all i need for a normal day diving.

Sim basically has a fast forward time increase and you can alter depth to see display change.

The Gekko's plan mode doesn't ask for surface interval. It only gives you the current NDLs.

ClayJar, that seems very odd, I was led to believe that the PLAN mode in both computers is the same and the Vyper has the additional SIM mode. Having a PLAN function that doesn't allow you to to specify the SI would be kind of stupid. Does that mean you are supposed to plan your dives the minute you jump into the water? No time to discuss it with your buddy? I thought planning would happen beforehand...

The online user manuals show the same instructions for the Gekko and Vyper PLAN modes, neither of which mention asking for surface interval. From what you tell me, the Vyper's PLAN mode actually starts by asking you for what additional surface interval to use, which I can confirm is *not* the case on the two Gekko's I have personally used.

AHA!

What you're describing is listed in the Vyper Manual as SIM PLAN mode (page 49 in the PDF manual). PLAN mode (page 16), on the other hand, does *not* let you specify an additional surface interval (according to the manual). If they changed SIM DIVE to just plain SIM, and they changed SIM PLAN to just plain PLAN, that would explain what seems to be being described.

The Gekko has just plain PLAN, while the Vyper has the surface-interval-specifying SIM PLAN mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom