What's the Bungee thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asckar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, so now I'm almost convinced to go with a wrist computer - most likely a Suunto Vyper - but I've been reading here a little about bungee mounting wrist units. What's that all about? I've been using a console for the past 5 years (and in the old days in the '70's that's all we had). Can someone please explain the bungee method.

Also, what's the big deal about guage mode and why is it considered a techie thisng? "Back in the day" guages were all we had along with a decent watch and a review of the PADI tables prior to the dive. Isn't a computer just supposed to be sort of a safety net?? I guess I'm just old school (I sound like my dad now - yikes!!!!!)

~ Dive safe, dive happy

Many people believe that a computer represents the "dumbing down" of diving. "Why learn the tables? Get a computer and let it do your thinking?" Not that tech divers don't also do the same but they generally realize that if the computer breaks while out, they're hosed. At least with tables & a depth gauge, you can always go by a buddy's depth gauge if yours breaks.

Scenario: You have a computer and you go diving. As you're getting back in the boat, you whack the computer against the hull (clumsy, sea swells, whatever). In slow motion, you see the computer hanging at an odd angle, one of the pins broke. As you watch, it falls off your wrist into the deep.

Using a computer with a bungee involves replacing the strap with either two sections of bungee cord that you slide your wrist through or replacing it with a loop of 3/4" to 1" elastic. Even if one cord breaks or one pin breaks on the elastic, you won't like your computer.

Also a bit nicer when it comes to neoprene compressing. The bungie adjusts automatically. Also if you dive wet and dry then you just put it on and go, no fuss. The computer will stay put no matter what you are wearing.

FYI, two pieces is "a must". I did one piece on my comp and the boot ripped out. I was lucky that it popped off just a few feet back. I just wish that someone made a boot that was designed for computer. I know DSS and TDL have one but for Suunto computers.

asckar:
OK, so now I'm almost convinced to go with a wrist computer - most likely a Suunto Vyper - but I've been reading here a little about bungee mounting wrist units. What's that all about? I've been using a console for the past 5 years (and in the old days in the '70's that's all we had). Can someone please explain the bungee method.

Bungee's in place of a "watch strap" make for easier donning, and are depth compensating. Many wrist mounts can be field modified for use with bungee, or if you have Uwatec Digital BT, Aladdin Tec, Vyper/ Vytec/ Gekko, or SK7 Compass we make a "bungee ready replacement boot. Look here http://www.deepseasupply.com/page18.html

Wrist mounted instruments are far easier to read without letting go ouf your scooter, or repositioning your canister lighthead. They are on your arm, and can be read at a glance.

asckar:
Also, what's the big deal about guage mode and why is it considered a techie thisng?

At some levels of diving, (and within some diving philosophys) relying on a dive computer is seen as less reliable than a timer and tables, or a timer and your mind. Why? Computers fail, and very often computers deco algorithims are based on very conservative interpretations of what many consider outdated information.

The Uwatec Digital Bottom timer has become the default standard in part because there is no user replaceable battery, and therefore there is no battery oring that can fail. No moving parts, simple reliable. No deco calculations.

Other devices are used, including the popular Vyper. I believe this due to the ability to record and download the dive, the availability of Gauge Mode, and the fact that many recreational divers headed for "Tech" already own one.

Operating a "computer" in gauge mode reinforces the training of managing your dives without the crutch of a computer.

asckar:
"Back in the day" guages were all we had along with a decent watch and a review of the PADI tables prior to the dive. Isn't a computer just supposed to be sort of a safety net?? I guess I'm just old school (I sound like my dad now - yikes!!!!!)

I personally use a Digital Bottom Timer on my right wrist, and a Vyper in gauge mode in my pocket as a redundant means of measuring time and depth. (I like the download feature of the Vyper)

My primary "Deco Computer" is between my ears, my backup is between my team mates ears. Relying on a fallible, potentially unreliable, dive computer is viewed as a greater risk.

Tobin

Halthron:
Not that tech divers don't also do the same but they generally realize that if the computer breaks while out, they're hosed.

Most tech divers around here dive with redundant bottom timers and depth guages, and use tables (and/or ratio-deco/deco-on-the-fly.) That way you're not hosed if you have a single malfunction.

cool_hardware52:
Bungee's in place of a "watch strap" make for easier donning, and are depth compensating. Many wrist mounts can be field modified for use with bungee

Do you have any DIY suggestions or instructions for putting together a bungee mount? (I have an Oceanic Veo)

joeabroad:
Do you have any DIY suggestions or instructions for putting together a bungee mount? (I have an Oceanic Veo)

Forgive, but I have no first hand experience with your computer. In general to convert a wrist mount you cut off the strap, burn / punch / drill holes for bungee and lace it up.

Use care that you don't place the holes where they can tear.

Good luck,

Tobin

Sharky1948:
Most tech divers around here dive with redundant bottom timers and depth guages, and use tables (and/or ratio-deco/deco-on-the-fly.) That way you're not hosed if you have a single malfunction.
The comment was regarding tech divers using computers, not a lack of redundancy.

:)
Halthron:
The comment was regarding tech divers using computers, not a lack of redundancy.

Yes, I understand. But, again, there is no need for a computer when planning deco dives on deco software and/or using in-water calculation techniques. Most tech divers I know that do have computers use them in guage mode (i.e., as a bottom number) and use the computer because they can download the profile later.

I'm not saying there is not a place for computers in tech diving (they're obviously mandatory in CCR). I'm just saying that most don't use (or at least rely) on them for decompression stops/times.

EDIT: Hope this comes across as intended...not trying to start a flame war! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom