I need a Dive Computer! Advice please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saturnkk

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am recently certified and would like some input / advice on a dive computer. The following are my assumptions and qualifications:

Console (rather than watch because consoles seem to be a bit cheaper and they have one less thing that can go wrong e.g. the wireless connection. Is this assumption correct?)

Air & Nitrox compatible (Want to start Nitrox ASAP)

Digital

Computer Downloadable

Compass (this is not critical but would be nice)

I would like any input or reccomendations on a device that meets my criteria and is as affordable as possible without sacrificeing reliability.

Thanks!

To oncer that question is not ease. But you have to ask your self two questions. How fare do you wont to go and how much money do you wont to spend.
I and most of my friends have computers that are in the console. Only one out of ten have air feed to the computer. But if you are diving deco that is a must in my book. If you are diving one tank dives you have no need for it. I am 50% of the people have the Oceanic Versa Pro, It is a good computer for the $$

I personally like the aeris AI. It meets all your requirements, including NITROX/Computer Downloadable/Console/Air Integrated. Aeris also has a compass mount that mounts right on the console, and you can also get a quick disconnect, so you can leave the regulator hanging in the equipment room, but take the computer with you to your room for filling out your logbook on those warm water trips. IF the AI is a bit too $$, then look at the Aeris Atmos XR-2. All the same features as the AI, but not Air Integrated. You can get it in a console with a compass or in a wrist mount. I carry the AI as my primary and an Atmos II (old model of the XR-2) as my backup in a wrist mount. Both have the same functions other than the Air Integration. Oh yeah both are water activated so even if you forget to turn them on they remember for you. Excellent Computers. Areis even has a web site demo of both if you want to play with them.

Personally I'd avoid the console computer. Get a wrist computer or watch. Underwater with magnification the watch size computers are still easy enough to read.

The console mounted computers take a beating on the boat, on shore dives or when handled by not so careful DM's, other people placing their tanks on them or not so careful owners.

It is the air integrated computers that are more expensive, obviously the hoseless ones are more expensive than the console ones but you don't need either.

Good computer brands include Uwatec, Oceanic, Aeris and Suunto (Suunto's D6 & D9 have an electronic compass on the computer although I haven't actually used it.)

The Uwatecs come with infared and the Aeris EliteT3, Aeris Epic, Oceanic VT3 and Oceanic Atom 2 all come with a download cable if you buy the whole package (Comp + Transmitter). Suunto you will need to buy the cable as an extra.

Oceanic, Aeris computers are fairly liberal Uwatec is middle of the road whereas Suunto is quite conservative. (If memory serves me correctly)

Some like Oceanic or Aeris sell there air integrated transmitter computers with or without the transmitter. Makes them a little cheaper without. You can then upgrade later by buying the transmitter seperately.

Yes, I forgot. It must be water activated as well.

What is an air integrated computer? What is the standard time between readings that I should look for?

I want to spend a the "right amount" for a beginner - intermediate level diver. Does $300 sound about right?

I have an Aeris Atmos 2 and love it. It is easy to read and easy to use. It does everything you listed in your first post except having a compass built in unless you get it in a console, and it is relatively cheap. I know scubatoys is having a special on them right now for $200-$250. It is also water activated and you can set the time between readings from about 2 seconds to 30 seconds if different incroments. Air intigrated means the computer can read your tank pressure, but they tend to be more expensive. Good luck!

Air integrated - the computer tells you your air pressure. And it may try to do cute things like predict how long your air will last. It's one of those toys, some like it but certainly not required, and it's not in a $300 budget.

If an AI computer is on your wrist it does this via a hoseless/wireless connection, which is expensive and some people feel is too prone to failure. If the computer is in your console, it can get air pressure directly since its on the hose. This is more reliable and cheaper than the wireless type, but many people find they prefer the computer on their wrist. (I've got one in the console and one on my wrist, I have no trouble with a console getting beat up or anything, and I find it a handy place for my backup computer, but I always look at the wrist one UW.)

One drawback to an AI computer is that if it croaks, you've lost all your information. Depth and time you can get from your buddy but obviously not pressure. And plain old pressure gauges are pretty reliable. As are simple separate compasses whether they're on your wrist or part of a console.

Most or all current computers are water activated. Many older ones you had to remember to turn them on before you splashed.

I use an Aeris XR-2 which fits your requirments. Really easy to read the display etc... The sample rate is user configurable. In My opinion console is the way to go everything in one spot Compass, SPG and Computer. A console is more streamlined less of a snag hazzard (in my opinion). I personally don't see the value in Air integrated but, that like everything else is personal perference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom