Aladdin one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vincenoir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've recently ordered a uwatec aladdin on the recommedation of my LDS as i pplanned to get a gekko for my first computer, as it's recommend by lots of ppl. the thing is i can't find a single review for the aladdin one on the net or this board. and am beginning to worry that i may have made a mistake any thoughts?

In short: Don't worry.

If I'm not mistaken, Uwatec Aladin One is the latest offering from Uwatec meant to replace Aladin Prime model. From its listed specifications, it has everything you need from your first dive computer. I am puzzled by the fact that the two buttons are gone, though.

Apparently, it does have backlight which is good for night dives and cave diving. It also supports Nitrox mixes to 50% oxygen. Last but not least it comes with SmarTrak, so you can connect it to your laptop or desktop computer.

I'd say that's all you'll need until you start diving at altitudes, with Trimix or deeper than 100 meters.

Suunto Gekko is much longer on the market, therefore it has been reviewed so much more. This doesn't make it better.

Hope this helped.

mislav:
Don't worry.

Yeap, I won't worry as well. Uwatec makes good computers (though there are some exceptions).

mislav:
If I'm not mistaken, Uwatec Aladin One is the latest offering from Uwatec meant to replace Aladin Prime model. From its listed specifications, it has everything you need from your first dive computer. I am puzzled by the fact that the two buttons are gone, though.

I believe that Aladin One isn't meant to replace Aladin Prime. Uwatec is still offering Prime. Aladin One is positioned by Uwatec as a entry level dive computer for divers who aren't looking for more fancy features. Simultaneously, they are also offering Aladin One as a "rental" model. This is one of the reason why they can only be set via a computer with infrared.

With regards to the various models our shop has sold, we haven't notice any incident customers send in their Aladin One for service or claim. That's certainly not so for Aladin Prime and Aladin Tec. In fact, my Aladin Tec died on me. :no The good thing is it is replaced with a newer Tec 2G. :eyebrow:

I'm sure that it will do everything i want but the lack of controls worry me. you can only alter the nitrox level via a pc. if i'm abroad does that mean i have to upload software on to other peoples pc's the whole time. this applies to veiwing the dive log as well.

vincenoir:
...you can only alter the nitrox level via a pc...

I don't own an Aladin, but this one "design feature" would virtually guarantee that I would not buy this particular model. I think that this is a big disadvantage vs the Gekko. I would much rather have the phosphorescent display than a backlight in lieu of being able to change my Nitrox settings without a PC.

Having said that, do you dive with Nitrox or are you likely to start? If not, no problem. If you are, I think this computer is unsuitable for your needs.

Clearly this computer has been designed for rental use. The dive shop normally has a PC, so they can set the computer up for the desired Nitrox mix for a client.

From the Scubapro website:
The simplicity makes it idiot proof and therefore the ideal computer for beginners, techno-phobes and rental.

Cheers,

Andrew

Yes, the Aladin One is the entry-level model, then there is the Prime, and then the Tec2G.

To be honest, the Prime is a nearer match to the Gekko, in that you can switch nitrox mixes on the computer itself, etc. The One is very basic and, while ideal for a rental situation (it doesn't have any buttons so renters can't screw around with it), it does limit its use, particularly on trips - you wouldn't want to have to piss around with a PC to change the nitrox mixes.

It is a good computer in terms of how it performs underwater, but unfortunately, I'd say you have been slightly mis-sold. If you were looking at a Gekko and they put you on to this, then they have done you a bit of a mis-service - I'd have offered the Prime as an option as it offers virtually the same usability as the Gekko. You will soon out grow the One...

Mark

Pick up the Aladin one today read through the instructions and decided to take it back, going away tomorrow so lucky still have time to pick up the gekko which i wanted in the first place. you could not even change the time on the aladin one without a computer so it's no good for traverling. still at least it doesn't have to go on ebay.

vincenoir:
Pick up the Aladin one today read through the instructions and decided to take it back, going away tomorrow so lucky still have time to pick up the gekko which i wanted in the first place. you could not even change the time on the aladin one without a computer so it's no good for traverling. still at least it doesn't have to go on ebay.
Oooh, thanks to others for correcting me here. I was misled by it having the backlight option... figured there had to be a way to operate it somehow without connecting it to a PC.

Now, with this info about it - I need to go back on my words and say that I really don't recommend Aladin One to anyone! In my view, this model is a huge mistake by Uwatec and I can't see how your LDS might have recommended it to you.

Gekko is a good choice. Suunto intentionally left out from Gekko the option of PC connectivity, but you may search this board for a workaround.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom