Pelagic computers - always the same algo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Real simple question - do all of the current line of Pelagic (Aires, Oceanic, Sherwood, etc) use the same algorithm? If two divers both go down (fresh, no dive for 24+ hours) with a Pelagic and maintain an identical profile, will the NDL data presented be the same (all other things being equal)?

I think they all use an unpadded (no additional conservatism added) DSAT (PADI) model.

The easiest way to check is to simply compare the fresh, no dive for 24+ hour NDLs at the various depths. I can confirm that both the ancient 1 button Data Plus, and the newer but still pretty old Data Plus 2 have an NDL table of:

30' ---- 260 minutes or 4:20
40' ---- 137 or 2:17
50' ------ 80
60' ----- 57
70' ---- 40
80' ---- 30
90' ---- 24
100' ---- 19
110 ----- 16
120 ---- 13
130 ----- 10

While the PADI RDP rounds some numbers off, you can see that the NDLs between the computers and the PADI table track pretty closely.

In general, the faster compartment limits determine the NDL for deep dives; while the compartment limits for the slower compartments determine the NDLs for shallow dives.

Charlie Allen

Charlie,

Thank you very much. That's what I wanted to know (in fact, you provided a great deal of information in addition to answering my question). I am shopping for *two* DC, one for myself and one for my wife. As we may differ on specific models that appeal to us, I'd like to stick within the same general family (Suunto/Mares | Pelagic).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom