Securing your SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedadepths

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How does everybody out there secure thier spg. I have been toying with the idea of a retractor runing through a gromet, but im not sure that is going to work. Thanks.
Max

Retractors are bad news. The foul and are an entanglement hazzard. The simplest way to secure your SPG is with a bolt snap tied to it with nylon line and then clipped off to your hip area.

Here's how to tie the snap to a light, but it's similar tying it to the SPG.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

I see you are diving in Lake George. What's that like? I'm probably moving out that way next year as it is where my fiancee is from.

Well i am fairly new to diving and have only done a couple of dives in Lake George. From what i have seen the vis changes a lot based on weather and boat traffic. The highlights are some interesting history from the French and Indian war. You can check out http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/publands/submerge/index.html for some information on these sites.

SS snap bolt to left hip D-ring. Snap bolt attached with inner tube to SPG hose. Has been since OW and will remain that way.

I use retractors for my spg and (so far) I have not had any problems. In fact, the seaquest pro qd ltd comes with a retractor mounted just that for that purpose.

Most of my dives are in Lake George. I love diving there! There are so many cliffs and ledges to dive and I love diving the underwater structures like that.

chipwd:
I use retractors for my spg and (so far) I have not had any problems. In fact, the seaquest pro qd ltd comes with a retractor mounted just that for that purpose.

Most of my dives are in Lake George. I love diving there! There are so many cliffs and ledges to dive and I love diving the underwater structures like that.

Have you dived the Redau. I have been interested in it since before i got certified. I was thinking about diving it after my AOW this april.

chipwd:

Consider what could happen and what problem the retractor is actually solving. They are bad news. They work great until they don't.

Soggy:
Be careful. It's 110 ft deep. You want some experience before getting into dives like that.

Yes thank you. I am aware of the depth. I will definetly get more expirence, espically in low vis situtations before attempting this dive.

The year my buddy replaced three retractors I decided against them. Each time he got what he thought was a better one. He could have bought a bunch of SS bolt snaps for the price of one.

Back
Top Bottom