Dive Computer Software Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danclem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings:

I am looking for reviews of different software from dive computer manufacturers. I am currently using Oceanlog and have had a lot of software and USB cable issues this past year.

I am getting ready to switch computers and would appreciate any words of wisdom from divers on their experience, good and bad, with various brands and software. Suunto Dive Manager appears a good deal more robust than Oceanlog, but I would like to hear from actual users.

Thank You.

I use the SDM with my D9. It's the newest version 2.3.0 some people prefer the older versions. I've never had synch issues with it, the interface is clunky but once you understand it you can work with it. One good point is that it runs an MS Access database so lots of people have written query/reporting tools to produce better logbook functions, etc.

Hope this helps.

-J.-

Thanks for the information.

-Dan

danclem:
Greetings:

I am looking for reviews of different software from dive computer manufacturers. I am currently using Oceanlog and have had a lot of software and USB cable issues this past year.

I am getting ready to switch computers and would appreciate any words of wisdom from divers on their experience, good and bad, with various brands and software. Suunto Dive Manager appears a good deal more robust than Oceanlog, but I would like to hear from actual users.

Thank You.

Oh boy, I had Oceanlog as well with my Pro Plus 2 and always had problems downloading more than a few dives especially when I went on trips with 20-30 dives. I got an Uwatec smart tec and I love the dive log software that comes with it. It will download all my trip dives in one shot (it will take a little while). Once you enter a dive site into the data base, it keeps it and you can just check for future dives there. Basically every parameter on your dive from equipment, weather, type of dive and fishes you want to note become a checklist after entering just once. You can even load representative photos of critters you see.

I'm sure some other dive logs do the same but after using Uwatec's I thought they really adapted it for the modern computer compared to Oceanic's early 90s style program.

Hi Jason:

How do you like the Uwatec computer? I dive with a friend who has one, and he lokes his, but says there is a steep learning curve to learning the functions.

Thanks,

Dan

I dive on a Sherwood Wisdom. I like the computer, but the software is terrible. It could use a major re-write and update.

The minimum logging interval is 15 seconds. Avergae depth or SCA is NOT tracked, calculated or even available. (I have to export the dive details to Excel and mainpulate the data there to calulate average depth and SAC.)

Anyone from Sherwood looking at this? Do you need some ideas as to what your software SHOULD do? Look at Suunto Dive Manager.

Ian Wilson

I used to run the Cobra and 1.6 SDM and have recently gone up to the D9 and the version 2.3. SDM I never had a problem with the interface before and I ran a Viper, then a Cobra and now a D9 at some time in the last 2 years. It gives you lots of good information and it an MS Access database so printing custom reports is pretty easy. The only thing it doesn't do is tell me the temp at different times in the dive, but I'm told the D9 will. I'll see next week in Bonaire.

Uwatec's software is the best, bar none. The computers aren't as brain-dead simple as some others, but anyone with a fifth grade education should be able to handle it if you give it a chance.

There is aftermarket software that works with (or replaces) the OEM software, in some cases, that may be better, if it's worth the money to you: Diving Log. (www.divinglog.de) If the software you use doesn't cut it, it may be worth checking into. (no connection to DL, but I own their software and think it's pretty decent, although I primarily use Uwatec's softare.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom