Suunto Companion batterychange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polle

New
Reaction score
Hi

I have tried to change the battery on a Suunto Companion, but the damn thing just say "LOG", and its impossible to enter the menu.

I have tried to shortcircuit it, connect all 3 contacts at the same time and drain it totally for remaining power, leave it without power for extended time, but nothing seems to work.

Sending it back to Suunto is not an option, the cost would probably equal the buying of a new Suunto Octopus.....

So, if any of you have a solution to my troubles, please let me know.

Polle

The draining was just a wild guess, since nothing else seemed to work....

The battery is identical with the old one.

It was left without battery for about 3 months, and when I replaced the battery, it looked like it worked, but in imperial units, which I´m not familiar with, and, dumb as I am, I took out the battery, and now it simply locks-up.

Polle

I've been trying to get my Suunto Companion going after replacing the battery. No luck so far. Did you find out how to get the computer working again?

Try your LDS / closest authorized dealer. They should be authorized to service and change the battery. I've had mine changed several times with no problem.

Paula

I just did it!
I tried a lot of things and finally succeeded.

You will need two batteries and some wiring. Battery #1 is the new one you are going to place on the computer. Battery #2 doesn´t have to be new but must be able to power the computer. It will be disposed of after the procedure.

1. Solder some wires to positive and negative on the computer poles and have them ready to connect to Battery #2 (I soldered the negative to the battery, so it would be easy just to hold the positive when needed later)
2. Connect some gator wire to the positive and negative
2. Connect the positive gator to battery #1
3. Tap with the other gator wire (negative) very rapidly (more than 5 times per second) and several times (around 20 or 30 times). This is the secret!
4. Turn on the computer as usual, and it will no longer show the "LOG" lock mode !!!
5. If it doesn´t work the first time, try again. (It took me 3 days of tryouts to succeed with the procedure)
6. Now connect Battery #2. At this time, you will have two batteries connected in parallel. Don´t worry, It won't hurt the companion. The computer must be still working on normal mode at this stage.
7. Disconnect both gator wires from the computer and from battery #1. Because you have Battery #2 feeding the computer, it must remain powered and on normal mode (not locked on LOG). If you can´t manage to maintain the computer powered, it will return to LOG lock mode, and you will have to start tapping again (this can be frustrating, that is why I decided to solder thin cables and manage to maintain the computer powered very firmly during the procedure).
8. While the computer is in normal mode and powered by Battery #2 (through the thin wires, one soldered to the negative pole), insert the Battery #1 into its normal and intended place into the companion battery hatch.
9. Cut the thin wires soldered to the poles on the computer (cut very close to the soldered point, so you won´t have any wires remaining).
10. Check that the computer remains on, and on normal mode
11. Close the battery hatch (don´t forget the clean and lubed o-ring)
12. Place the cover screws back (tight fit, not too hard).
Done!

I just did it!
I tried a lot of things and finally succeeded.

You will need two batteries and some wiring. Battery #1 is the new one you are going to place on the computer. Battery #2 doesn´t have to be new but must be able to power the computer. It will be disposed of after the procedure.

1. Solder some wires to positive and negative on the computer poles and have them ready to connect to Battery #2 (I soldered the negative to the battery, so it would be easy just to hold the positive when needed later)
2. Connect some gator wire to the positive and negative
2. Connect the positive gator to battery #1
3. Tap with the other gator wire (negative) very rapidly (more than 5 times per second) and several times (around 20 or 30 times). This is the secret!
4. Turn on the computer as usual, and it will no longer show the "LOG" lock mode !!!
5. If it doesn´t work the first time, try again. (It took me 3 days of tryouts to succeed with the procedure)
6. Now connect Battery #2. At this time, you will have two batteries connected in parallel. Don´t worry, It won't hurt the companion. The computer must be still working on normal mode at this stage.
7. Disconnect both gator wires from the computer and from battery #1. Because you have Battery #2 feeding the computer, it must remain powered and on normal mode (not locked on LOG). If you can´t manage to maintain the computer powered, it will return to LOG lock mode, and you will have to start tapping again (this can be frustrating, that is why I decided to solder thin cables and manage to maintain the computer powered very firmly during the procedure).
8. While the computer is in normal mode and powered by Battery #2 (through the thin wires, one soldered to the negative pole), insert the Battery #1 into its normal and intended place into the companion battery hatch.
9. Cut the thin wires soldered to the poles on the computer (cut very close to the soldered point, so you won´t have any wires remaining).
10. Check that the computer remains on, and on normal mode
11. Close the battery hatch (don´t forget the clean and lubed o-ring)
12. Place the cover screws back (tight fit, not too hard).
Done!

good to know someone just dumped one of these "items" on me

i Have a Suunto solution, a physically similar model, I have noticed over the years the contacts get harder and harder to activate by touch, have you tried sealing it up and putting it in salty water, so all contacts are activated, nothing to lose. On another note how old is it, 1980’s or 90’s?

i Have a Suunto solution, a physically similar model, I have noticed over the years the contacts get harder and harder to activate by touch, have you tried sealing it up and putting it in salty water, so all contacts are activated, nothing to lose. On another note how old is it, 1980’s or 90’s?
this is a suunto companion ( seaquest ) i got it w/o a battery from a person asking if I could get it working.. so 20.00 later got a battery in it... cleaned the contacts... ( yup I thought it was the contacts as well, but I could power it on... Downloaded the manual that was a boring read.. ( like Microsoft technically correct and totally useless )) so looking to take 2 AA 1.5v wire them in and tap away until it unlocks...
Buttons i took a pick to the tops there was some corrosion... and 1000grit sandpaper to the metal circles to get better contact... result.. it is LOCKED IN LOG MODE... sadly.. once I get it working I will never offer to help with a dive computer made by suunto.
Now I do nto know if LOG clears after 24h or you need to play circus games with the unit... anyway it is the mfg had a retarded design for battery replacement

Back
Top Bottom