Air Integrated? Wrist Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jszei

Registered
Reaction score
I am a recreational diver getting a few dives in a year, possibly more in the future. I am looking to purchase a dive computer. My first question is how helpful is air integration? My second question is what are the benefits of a wrist computer with or without air integration? From what I've seen it looks like I can eliminate a hose, view all information on my wrist and be warned at certain intervals about what depths I can be at. I have only used analog devices in the past so forgive the noobness. I'm not too concerned with cost if the benefit can justify the money. If you all can recommend an air intergrated wrist computer (with transmitter) is there a brand that stands out as the best or most reliable?

Thanks,
John

first, try the search feature, this has been discussed many times before.

I would forget about AI, even disregarding the fact that its expensive especially for only being used a few times a year.

Personal choice of course but wrist mount computer and small SPG clipped off to BC is what works for me and a lot of others. I wouldn't have it any other way!

first, try the search feature, this has been discussed many times before.

I love when people point to the search box as if no one knows it's there but similiar questions get asked all the time. Maybe all that I have read in past posts hasn't satisfied my questions and I'm looking for more...

Thank you for your response though Max. I am looking for some detail.

Suunto Vytec or D9 with AI.

If you get a good routine going on how to synch you should experience no failures with the air integration feature I have over 100 dives with my D9 with no failures.

The main benefit is described in your original post...you can view all relevant information on your wrist...some AI computers will use air remaining in their dive time remaining calculation as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-J.-

I would skip the Suunto and check out the oceanic.

My wife and I have the Atom 2.0
We both love it, its great to have all info on your wrist. The oceanic uses a set serial number to link the transmitter with the computer. It is set from the factory but you can change it. Every transmitter has a stamped serial number in the housing. You just enter that number into the dive computer and it is linked, done. The Suunto you need to sync the computer to transmitter every time you pressure the transmitter, a real pain in the behind IMHO.

Of course there are always the nay sayers but oceanic has a good system going. They addressed the worries about reading the wrong tank, wrong transmitter config, and other worries. We have had the Atom 2.0 for over a year now without any aborted dives or issues with the computers.

Oh, and I have 110 dives and 50 dive hours on it, so you can't say I don't use it.

I've used the Suunto Cobra for a couple of years now -- about 350 dives -- and I won't give it up (much to the disgust of my wife). I like the air integration and I think it could/would be a big help to someone who doesn't dive all that often because yes, it does give you an estimated (real time estimate) of your "remaining gas time."

Now the Cobra is on a hose and I clip it off to my left hip. I also got a Suunto Mosquito (non-AI) which I wore on my right arm. Since they use the same algorithm they always tracked well together.

I now have my wife's Vytec and am getting the transmitter for it. I'll continue to use the Cobra and the Vytec will be my backup.

(I will confess that both are in gauge mode -- but that's because of the type of diving I'm doing.)

If money isn't a significant object, I'd get an AI wrist computer -- and as an infrequent diver, perhaps Suunto would be a good choice due to its DCS conservatism.

There's a firm in Texas founded by one of the gentlemen who helped invent the integrated circuit, I think; they sell wrist computers used by the US Navy for CCR type diving. The company name is Cochran. You could take a look at their civilian units, both AI and not, which are configurable for applications many sport divers will never require. Beyond air and single mix nitrox ( one FO2), these can be configured for applications more technical than most will ever need, up to 3 FO2 or 2 PO2 + Helium.

By the way, an interesting UCLA study came out last year about the effects of breathing pure O2. They used MRI to study healthy kids who breathed pure O2 to see what effects that had on the brain. The results of the study suggest that it is good to be conservative about your PO2.

I also dive a Oceanic. Mine is a VT3 and am very happy with it.
Another advantage of the hoseless AI(wrist) is remaining dive time tracking and turn around alarm.
Some computers allow you to see your dive buddy's bottle pressure if they too are using a compatable transmitter/computer.
If you dive nitrox some will allow different blends in different bottles to be switched mid dive.
Yes, you can eliminate the SPG hose with a AI wrist computer (use a breathable inflator and you can rid yourself of the octo and it's hose (I use a Sherwood Gemini))
Another advantage with the wrist computer is you can use it while renting gear (without the pressure related features) It still tracks Temperature, Time, depth, accent rate and tells you to make stops.
Don't be taken in by the smallest they can be hard to see under certain conditions. Also Many people like to use computers as daily watches but do you really want to knock around your safety device daily or save it for when you need to rely on it?

I have an Oceanic VT pro, and my wife dives with the VT3, both are wireless, air integrated. Both have been problem free, and have never lost the signal from the transmitter. I went with Oceanic because of past, positive experiences with their customer service, reliability and the ability for the user to change the batteries. On the VT3 you can adjust the "conservatism" of the computer yourself.

It is really a matter of personal choice if you decide to go air integrated or not. As a recreational diver, you can't go wrong either way.

Helpful? Yes, I found it helpful. It is nice to see the dive time remaining, and know it is based on my no decompression limit or air consumption, which ever is shorter. I like having one less hose. I like being able to download my dive to my laptop, and review the data.

The main factor is cost. If you can afford to go air integrated, and like the benefits of it, then do it. Look at like buying a car. Purchase what you can afford, and with the features that will give you the most enjoyment from your purchase.

I have seen the AI's fail several times. I have also stood around waiting for someone to try to get a sync up.

I computer on your wrist is always right in view, and doesn't take a reach-pull-look maneuver every time you want to see it. You'll need to see your depth and time frequently, but only need to to occasionally glance at your SPG, so it only makes sense to have the computer on your wrist where it is easily seen, and your spg tucked neatly out of the way. JMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom