OMS Watch and Basic Watch Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I first started diving I never even thought of buying a dive watch because my computer tracked everyhting I was interested in. But, now that I am moving away from computer diving and I need to time saftey stops, I begining to look at watches as analternative to an expensive bottom timer, plus a nice watch could be worn topside too.

What do you guys wear? Anyone own one of those OMS (Sekio) watches, they are pretty expensive and look OK? I've heard if you buy a cheap stop watch style wrist watch that pushing the buttoms at depth (to start timing a stop) can/will break it, is this true?

Anyone have a favorite watch that works great underwater and looks nice when worn with street clothes?

Thanks

I would recommend you look at the bottom timer again - they're not that expensive. I got mine from DiveInn (but remember they are in Spain so it's metric) and it's about $90 - quite a lot cheaper than any of my watches (why do I have so many?!)

Jonathan

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
[B
Anyone have a favorite watch that works great underwater and looks nice when worn with street clothes?

Thanks [/B]

I wear a Citizen Aqualand in Titanium, great looks, and has a very good analouge depth gauge

Citizen

but I bet it cost more than $90! I also have a citizen with an anologue depth guage but an older bulkier model - so I only wear it when diving or on diving holiday.

Jonathan

the cheapest one. birthday present from my wife (i think she got it for US$115 from the LDS).

bezel is nice, grabbable with tropic or drygloves. the 'seconds' needle is small, though there's a dollop of that luminescent thingy at the other end (opposite from the pointy end) so you can see it at night, didn't have a problem seeing the needle at safety stops in daylight.

it's got ~ 50'ish dives on it, i think. the 'date' on it has stopped spinning, not due to diving, most probably because my son wanted to see if watches bounce :D (he tried it on my breitling as well ;-0 ).

oh, i wore the watch with a suit once :eek:ut: or twice or thrice :eek: . and wear it to work daily.

but, it does not have a depth gauge. an alternative would be a D3.

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

I wear a Citizen Aqualand in Titanium, great looks, and has a very good analouge depth gauge

Citizen

This is the very watch i was planning to buy. Can you tell me any more about it? Any problems/anoyances etc???? do you have the version with the metal band or the rubber strap?

Thanks, :wink:

For a dive watch it is hard to beat the Timex Ironman 200M @ Walmart/Kmart for $29.95 Big buttons you can use with gloves on. Be sure to get the 200 meter not the 100 meter.

For the rest I use a bottom timer, OMS/Uwatec which just died and now picked up a Suunto D3 which I hope to get wet this weekend.

Dave D

Wow those Suunto D3's cost almost as much as my Vyper!

OMS BT is alot cheaper....

I use the Bvlgari Chrono Scuba. It is rated to 600 ft. and is built like a tank. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom