Suunto Vyper Pros and Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimisurf

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a Suunto Vyper computer and I am looking for the boards positive and negitive experience with it. I intend to use it for recreational diving Air and Nitrox.

Any input would assist me in making the final decision.

Thank You,

Jimi

Easy to read display, long battery life, has a guage mode, came with a spare display guard, and was affordably priced.

A lot of users say it's intuitive to use, but I occassionallyl fumble around trying to locate specific screens.

Mine came from LP without a manual but you can download and print them from the Suunto site.

Everything Cyclon said is true, but the Vyper is very conservative and will give you the shortest no stop times, especially on repetitive dives. Some people like that, some can't stand it. Uwatec computers are somewhat less conservative and Oceanic/Aeris computers are fairly liberal.

Hi cyklon,

You mention that it is not as intuitive as it could be. Is there any need to change screens while in the water? Up here in BC, we wear heavy gloves, so pushing buttons etc has to be easy to do.

Thanks,
Jimi

Leadweight,

What is it about Suunto that makes them so much more conservative? I assume that it's the decompression model, but why would it vary so much between computers? I could see this being a factor on a group dive (drift with live boat) where you all have to surface together.

Thanks,

Jimi

tHE Suunto COMPUTERS ARE VERY much more conservative, IS THIS GOOD YOU BET MIGHT BE THE DIFFRENCE IN YOU GETTING BENT EXSPECIALLY WITH REPETIVE DIVING AND NUMIOURS DAYS OF DIVING , I USE THE COBRA AND ALSO HAVE USED THE Uwatec computers TO BE HONEST I LIKE MY SUUNTO BETTER , I LIKE THE FUINCTIONS EASE OF SETTING IT UP AND CHANGING THE MODES ECT TO ME I RATHER HAVE ONE A LITTLE BIT MORE CONSERVATIVE AND BE LESS LIKELY TO GET BENT MAYBE FEW SECS OR EVEN MIN DECO TIME NO PROMBLEM HEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!

Read a test in a German dive mag a while back where they compared a bunch of computers, including the Suunto's Cobra & Vytec and Uwatec's Smart Pro & Smart Com. Difference in the NDL and deco times over 4 dives was minescule. If one gave you a minute more NDL on the first dive, it ended up giving you another minute in the second etc.. The way the deco went was different, the Suuntos started deeper (probably due to the RGBM model), and added the 3 min. safety stop. The Uwatecs used a bit more time at shallower stops and added the 3 min safety stop in without making a difference between recommended and mandatory.

As for gloves, the Uwatecs have only one screen with all the info on it. Second best display in my opinion, the first being the one from the HS Explorer. But I never liked the electronic contatcs, nor a computer that 'penalizes' me based on water temperature. I wear a dry suit, am usually nice and toasty, and am not about to get cold and wet just so the Uwatecs are right. Don't like the nned to ship them for battery replacement, either. Look for the problem with that elsewhere on the board.

Out of the two you are considering I go with the Suunto. :)

I compared the suunto to several other computers for a school project and the difference in NDL's isn't even worth mentioning guys. In fact, the NDL's for suunto is very similar to PADI's Rec dive planner. It's not conservative, its safety and thats supposed to be #1 on all our minds. DIS = Do It Safe. Anyone remember that uwatec is recalling a lot of dive comps because there's been cases of DS attributed to them. You only have one life, take all the precautions you can. A few more minutes of bottom time will never be worth your health or your life. Suunto's NDL's give a little buffr than most of us need and should appreciate. If you really want more bottom time, just use nitrox. Most of us use our air before we ever reach a NDL anyway. This is just my opinion, but everyone should take a second look at what's important in their dive computer.

I can tell 'ya from experience diving with a lot of other people as buddies, all of whom have DIFFERENT computers (I dive Suunto) that the differences between the computers in terms of runtime are non-existant for practical purposes. The computers that my "primary" dive buddies have are a Genesis and a Mares M1; there are a smattering of others, none of them Suunto, but those are the two that I recall off the top of my head (due to the frequency of my diving with those folks)

The ONLY place where it will get you is on repetitive exposures. If you are diving deep and particularly if you are not careful about ascent rates, it will penalize you on the surface interval, and if you dive again before the warning on microbubble accumulation clears (you CAN ignore that if you want to) it will penalize you on your subsequent exposure limits.

The answer to that problem is "don't do that!" Typically if you allow an hour surface interval you won't run into this, provided you stay within the 30 fpm ascent rates. Blow the ascent rate and it may hold you on the surface for an extra half-hour or so before the attention symbol clears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom