Best non-Suunto dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Suunto Vytec that works just fine. But I'm shopping for a second computer so I can pass the Vytec on to my dive partner.

I'm done with Suunto- serial interface? Had to buy a USB cable. They still don't support MAC. Their dive software bascially sucks to use.

So, what's the best wrist mounted computer for nitrox that can also be turned into gauge mode for more serious diving?

... They still don't support MAC. Their dive software bascially sucks to use.

If that's your primary reason for abandoning Suunto, there are a couple of mac solutions you should investigate.

I use Divelog DiveLog and am reasonably satisfied with it.

There's a different newer effort at MacDive - Download

Both have been discussed quite a bit here on Scubaboard, use search.

So, what's the best wrist mounted computer for nitrox that can also be turned into gauge mode for more serious diving?

I am also in the market for a new computer to do similar diving. I plan to the Adv Nitrox/Deco with San Diego Tech Divers (Shane) next year and for this I would need a gas-switching computer like the NitekDuo or the Vytec DS.

I am also looking at the VT3 due to its gas switching(I believe capable) and air-integration. I am just not sure if the VT3 could handle that kind of class.

zimm17, have you reached a short list of computers you might buy?

I have a Suunto Vytec that works just fine. But I'm shopping for a second computer so I can pass the Vytec on to my dive partner.

I'm done with Suunto- serial interface? Had to buy a USB cable. They still don't support MAC. Their dive software bascially sucks to use.

I have to agree with reefduffer on this. MacDive is free, native to OSX, and works well with most Suunto dive computers (even the Gekko without the well-publicized SDM software hack). Nice pointers to iPhoto pics, too. IMO, it's a pretty good logbook solution.

I own the Suunto serial cable, but my Mac doesn't have a serial port, so I had to use a cheapo USB-to-serial adapter that I had lying around. I thought it was quite easy to set up. All it took was finding the chipset used by the adapter and downloading/installing the appropriate Mac driver. If you want to get this working, PM me.

I have a Suunto Mosquito, and I'm happy with it. It does simple one-gas nitrox/air NDL calculations. If I wanted to buy a new wrist-mounted nitrox-capable computer with gauge mode, I would probably go with the Oceanic Geo (wristwatch size; 1-gas) or the Tusa IQ-700 (larger size; 2-gas).

See you in the water! :D

Oh, I got to dive tonight with what, to me, is the ultimate dive computer! (If budget is no object . . . )

The Liquivision X1 is fantastic. It has a FABULOUS display, prioritizing the information you really want, but still giving you decompression data as well. It runs VPM, so if you DO end up in deco, it's not going to have a seizure and quit on you, or give you ridiculous decompression like 8 minutes at 10 feet for going one minute over time. It will handle ten gas mixes (this amazes me; I can't even imagine a dive which would require ten different gases!). It has a VERY intuitive menu system (if I've been able to run through it without getting frustrating, it's EASY).

I haven't downloaded the data yet, but there is logging software, and I'll find out tonight how easy it is to download and use.

But I have to say that, after ONE dive with this thing, I'm trying to figure out how many extra shifts I have to work to buy one.

Oh, I got to dive tonight with what, to me, is the ultimate dive computer! (If budget is no object . . . )

The Liquivision X1 is fantastic. ...

It looks like a very nice feature set. But ...

The OP was complaining about mac compatibility.
I've looked at the X1 owner's manual and it seems to talk only about windows software. Google turns up some mention of running the vplanner s/w under windows using Parallels. That isn't a mac solution for many of us, it's desperation, and in any case it would be just as applicable to the OP's Suunto problem.

So it seems a bit of a non-sequitor in this thread, unless you're aware of a mac interface solution your post didn't mention?. OTOH, If you just dived with it, and it matches the description, I can understand your enthusiasm. :14:

BTW, as rich as the feature set is, it doesn't look like my perfect PDC. No air integration. I like having my tank pressures recorded. We do very different kinds of diving. I think even if it were mac-compatible and the same cost, I'd prefer my Cobra. Doesn't mean I expect tech divers to have the same preference.

See this thread about the current price specials for an Oceanic Atom 2.0

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co.../246005-oceanic-computer-upgrade-special.html

Although I cannot comment on how mac friendly Oceanic's are, I've enjoyed my VT pro and VT3. My interest in an Atom 2 is to take the VT3 functionality and put it into a smaller package that can be worn throughout your entire dive vacation.

I have a Oceanic VT3 and it's basically identical in function to the Atom 2. 3 gas switiching, buddy gas check, wireless transmitter etc.

Works for me

For recreational diving I prefer watch-style computers. One reason is that I can conveniently keep it on between dives. I use a Stinger (a bit conservative but not too bad - far more liberal than Suunto's later offerings) and a DiveRite Nitek+. I love the latter, but it's been discontinued and I don't think is available anywhere. The main problem with the former is that I can't change the battery.

One computer that I've never used but keep hearing very good reports of is the current Cochrane range. Years ago they were dreadfully unreliable and I knew lots of people who had tried them and wouldn't dream of trusting their lives to them, but it seems to be a completely different story now. I have no idea about the Mac issue though, as ever since I sold my first dive computer I haven't bothered with download kits.

For a serious computer I need one that handles both helium and constant pO2. The best I have come across is the VR3, though there are others well spoken of that I haven't tried. I have no patience with a computer that locks up if you bend it, and the VR3 passes that crucial test.

If you really want to upload your dives to a laptop, find one that has some form of wireless link, such as Bluetooth.

There's been a lot of talk about the Datamask in these pages. I can't really comment on it as I can't wear it - I have a weak right eye and it only comes in a right-eyed version. But I know someone who has one and seems to like it, though not for night dives - he finds the constant-on display very distracting and it destroys his night vision. I think I would probably hate it, as I don't check my gauges that often and I wouldn't want that information thrust at me like that. But as I said, I haven't tried it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom