What's a suitable computer for a new computer-buyer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMK

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a computer for the first time. I've rented them before, and I think it's time to have my own. I'm looking for something very basic and economical for a first time computer buyer.

I'm not too familiar with all the spiffy features that dive computers come with these days, but I'm thinking I just need something that will let me get the basic info and let me maximize safe dive profiles. Are there any computer features that I should be sure to get that I may not get with the most basic computer?

Any suggestions regarding what to stay away from? (e.g., some
really cheap computers that break easily or don't function well)

Does anyone know/have something that they would like to recommend?

Thanks!

DiverMK once bubbled...
I'm looking for something very basic and economical for a first time computer buyer.
DON'T get an air-only computer - as soon as you get nitrox certified (if you're not already), it's obsolete. I prefer the large format Suunto computers - you should be able to find a Vyper (nice large display, conservative) for a reasonable price. Plus it can be switched to gauge mode if your diving ever proceeds in that direction. I own the Vytec, which is an air integrated successor to the Vyper (Vyper is still very popular and in production), and love it.

Online price for the Vyper is around $290-$315, local dive shop prices probably higher. eBay often has used ones as well, but check the age of a used one because a battery change might be due.

And you will probably hear the phrase "computers rot yer brain" before this thread is over.

Just kidding :wink:

Head to www.leisurepro.com and browse the gauges section. There are lots of nitrox computers for roughly $250 or less (Aeris Atmos II, Genesis React, etc).

The Suunto models are highly recommended on the board. I've never used one, but the Vyper for instance sports nifty features like gauge mode and conservatism settings.

Whatever you get, don't get a console version - get the wrist mount. It's more convenient and versatile.

Personal preferences: dont like hoseless, air integration, bar graphs or any other gimmick that destracts you. I have a mares M1 it shows depth, dive time and remaining no deco. screen 2 has temp and max depth. Screen 2 never see's the light of day. You should already know how deep you been and who cares what the temp is. If its cold you will know it, if it is warm you will be able to tell also. You really dont need downloadable, nitrox is nice to have. M1 has a lot of nice features that can be accessed on land. check out there website. I paid $235 for mine at leisure pro.

Scubaroo once bubbled...

And you will probably hear the phrase "computers rot yer brain" before this thread is over.

Kinda self fulfilling. No? :kicker:

I'm a fan of the wrist mounted computers too. Vypers/Vytecs have large displays and a pretty conservative. They both allow nitrox so they'll grow with you for a while.

I was in your same position about 12 months ago. I had been on numerous dives with a rented computer and decided I wanted to own one...mainly because I was not comfortable using different brands each time I rented. And I also wanted a very simple, intuitive computer that gave me the basic information (but was also safe).

After looking around, I settled on the Genesis ReAct, Sherwood Logic, and the Oceanic Versa Pro. All 3 had 1 or 2 buttons, a very simple display, and were Nitrox capable (useful once I get certified). All 3 were in the same ballpark in terms of price and features.

I finally settled on the Sherwood Logic mainly because I was able to get the best deal on it. I bought it in a 3-cluster console and I really like the ergonomics of it (computer + air on one side, compass on the other side).

Sherwood no longer makes the Logic - they only make a much higher-end computer called the Wisdom. But you can still find them for sale on eBay (new). And Genesis still makes the ReAct and Oceanic still makes the Versa Pro, so any Genesis or Oceanic dealer could help you there. And also check out the prices at Leisure Pro - one of the best places to buy mail-order in my opinion.

Suunto computers are very popular for a reason. Take a hard look at them before you make up your mind on a CPU. I also advise you to use the board's "Search" function to help gather information - there's a wealth of it here.

Good Luck!

double125's,

Yeah I was just looking for a reason to use that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom