Sherwood "Profile" vs. Genesis "React-Pro"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timmytes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm geting ready to buy my first computer and think that I have it narrowed down to these two. Any advce between the two would be great. Thanks

Tim,

I have the Genesis Scuba Re Act PRO Dive computer and have used it to log several dives. I have even taken it into Deco Mode to see just how it works.

I am happy with the computer. I use it in the in-line 3 console configuration.

Beware that as of now you CANNOT Download this computer to your PC. Genesis has not finished with the software.

I was not aware of this when I purchased my computer.

Missileman

Genesis owns Sherwood. The profile is identical to the Genesis resource. I would go with the react pro simply because you can do Nitrox (even if you don't plan to today). Better to buy it and not need it than to need it and have to buy a whole new computer later.

Have you looked at the Oceanic Veo200? All three of these computers are made by Pelagic, and it's the same as the React Pro, but tends to be slightly less expensive...

Genesis does not own Sherwood. The Genesis and Sherwood Scuba logos are owned by The Liberty Group. Sherwood as a company is a division of HARSCO. Sherwood makes scuba regulators/valves and all types of valves for the gas industry.

OkieDiver once bubbled...
Genesis does not own Sherwood. The Genesis and Sherwood Scuba logos are owned by The Liberty Group. Sherwood as a company is a division of HARSCO. Sherwood makes scuba regulators/valves and all types of valves for the gas industry.

Picky, picky... The computer products are all built by Pelagic anyway... Our PSI (Genesis, Sherwood, Akona) rep told us that the Genesis folks have the piece of Sherwood that does scuba related regs/valves and that the medical/gas/etc. folks are separate... I trust her to provide us correct information, since she's a PSI employee, but what's your information source...

Even if I'm wrong (along with their representative), the rest of the information is correct...

So, if I want to buy a Sherwood logo, I can contact the Liberty Group, otherwise I contact Harsco? :)

EDIT: You've got to admit the two are tied together, half of their products are nearly the EXACT same thing, but with different names (regulators being the exception)..

But PSI (Peter Skop Industries) is one of the 4 distributors that make up the Liberty Group. CDI (Cramer Decker), RMI (Ray Murry) and the 4th is a canadian (I think) distributor that I cannot recall the name. I also know the the rep you are referring to. I hang around a dive shop a lot. :) As for ownership, I might be mistaken, but I believe if you ask the rep she will tell you that the Liberty Group owns the rights to the Sherwood Scuba logo. But the regulators are still made by Sherwood - a division of Harsco. All the ansullary(sp) products are contracted out by The Liberty Group, aka Sherwood Scuba, Genesis, Akona.

Diversco is the 4th Distributor in the Group.

Sherwood Scuba and Genesis Scuba are both totally seperate companies under the parent Corporations umbrella. A very similar set up to Aqualung/Seaquest (same company ownership), and Mares/Dacor.

Sherwood Scuba is owned by the group, and Sherwood/Harsco is contracted to manufacture the 1st stage bodies and metal pieces for the Sherwood line only. Various other items all come from various other oem sources, just as most all other equipment manufacturers.

Back to the first question. The React Pro computer is a 2 button, air/nitrox compatible computer. The download kit being programmed FOR Genesis, (not BY Genesis) won't be finished now till possibly late fall. It's not Genesis' fault, but if you have to lay the blame, they'll take it. Genesis wanted the kit, and was promised the kit nlt late spring.

The Profile is a single button, Air only computer.

Both have user changeable batteries. New software internally. a 50 dive memory (as opposed to the 9 or 12 in previous models), better battery management, a much more intuitive, color coded bar graph display.

The React Pro will allow for time of day displays, visual deco stops down to 60ft., can be set for water or button activation and allows the customer to select the sampling rates.

It's a much more feature intensive computer, you just need to decide if they are features that are important to you. Either is a great choice when used as it's designed to be used.

It seems like there are some people around that might be able to answer something that I'm curious about.

What is the relationship between Pelagic, Oceanic, and Amercan Underwater Products?

Did Oceanic spin off Pelagic as a subsidiary so they could sell the computer others?

Amercian Underwater Products Inc. is the assignee for the patents used by Oceanic/Pelagic computers, and is also located in San Leandro, CA.

Is it all a corporate shell structure to protect Oceanic from lawsuits if the Pelagic computers have problems? (Kind of like Peter Hughes's multiple corporations that came to light in the Belize tragedy).

thanks for all the help. i actually purchased oceanic's data plus 2. i was going to buy something else but leisurepro had a sale on it when i called. anyway, should be fine, haven't used it yet , still reading the manual.

thanks

The Pelagic Pressure Systems/Oceanic relationship is one of ownership on the Corp. Level, so far as I've been told.

Pelagic is a separate company and has and/or currently does manufacture computers for Oceanic, Genesis, Aeris, Sherwood, Dacor, US Divers/Aqualung and another I think, but I can't recall for sure.

Pelagic does the vast majority of the work, although engineers at each individual company do testing, make suggestions, and tweak each individual computer to make it their own.

You will often hear how computer A is the same as computer B, and that is close, but not always accurate totally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom