Quartz vs Automatic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cam24

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a huge watch freak and because of such, have always worn automatics. but in the world of dive watches, i find i know nothing. haha. i've been trying to research dive watches for my boyfriend for christmas and am torn between quartz and automatic/self winding. does a quartz movement fair better for diving? i've read that a lot of the automatic movement watches lose time by seconds when used for diving repeatedly. initially, i was drawn to the St. Moritz Shadow II Chrono for its aesthetics but have recently been leaning towards the Citizen Cyber Aqualand NX. can anyone shed some light on this for me? THANK YOUUUU!

Well, do you want the watch to just keep time or do you want the watch to keep time, act as a bottom timer/depth indicator/thermometer? If it's the former then a good automatic dive watch is hard to beat. If it's the latter then you have no choice but go electronic.

BTW, I used to have a quartz dive watch (not a mini-computer but a regular dive watch). On one dive trip, both my dive computer and it ran out of batteries at just about the same time. I had a backup SPG but no backup watch. Luckily a fellow diver lended me his watch.

I don't use a quartz dive watch any more. The Seiko Automatic Diver series are inexpensive yet aesthetically.

For an automatic watch I use Invicta 9937 I like it it has Swiss 26 jewel movement and will not brake the bank never dove with it. For my dive watch I went with a Citizen Eco-Drive (no batteries and electronic) JV0010-08E. This logs 20 dives, depth gauge, timer, temp, otehr nice thing is it displays real time too. Does it all, very nice watch. Eco drive uses solar power and when all charged up can run 5-6 months with no light.
Went with Eco-drive becuse from what I read is very reliable and will not need batteries which are pretty spendy to replace on dive watch. Citizen makes a lot of Eco-Drive dive watches and many are very cool.

A lot will depend on budget, IMHO, the finest dive watch is the Rolex Deepsea Seadweller, it will last a lifetime. I've never heard of the accuracy of an automatic watch which is waterproof being affected by depth, after all, the water cant/dosent get in. I always dive with by automatic, it's just as inaccurate out of the water as in, which is about 2 seconds a day, not a concern above or below the waves. If you want total accuracy, quartz will always win, if you want something to treasure, buy the most expensive automatic you can afford....

I have a Rolex Submariner. These expensive automatic watches have no utility as dive tools that approaches their price. Personally, I have little use for any watch while diving. Sometimes it's nice to know how close to lunch time it is, but for timing my dive I want something that starts automatically when I submerge. They do have some utility as jewelry though--I wear mine whenever I don't wear a suit.

Thank you for all of the good info, guys!

If i was going for an expensive dress watch i'd probably go with the Omega Seamaster. but my guy is a firefighter... they're more all about function and less flash. I will definitely take a look at the Citizen Eco-Drive, thank you! Does anyone have anything to say about St. Moritz?

Thank you for all of the good info, guys!

If i was going for an expensive dress watch i'd probably go with the Omega Seamaster. but my guy is a firefighter... they're more all about function and less flash.

If it's about function and not flash then it's pretty hard to beat a Seiko Automatic Diver. Take your pick from BlueDial.com They're pretty much variations of the SK007 or SK009. These watches have been known to run for decades without servicing except for changing out waterproof gaskets which all dive watches need to do if they are to be used as dive watches on a regular basis.
Seiko SKX009K Men's Automatic 200m Diving watch Rubber Band, Free Shipping

Back
Top Bottom