Orca Marathon diving computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogglebe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have the opportunity to buy a used Orca Marathon dive computer. The seller (whom I haven't met yet) is asking $40 dollars for it. Does anyone know if there is a test button it? Or some other way to see if it's calibrated or working properly?

Or should I just walk away?

Phil

It's a judgment call. If you trust the seller it might be a good deal ($40 for a $250 computer) but why is he selling it that low if there is no problem?

If there is a problem you don't want it. If you or some other diver can try it out on a dive before purchasing it that would be the best solution.

You can turn it on and see if it works in that regard but you won't know if it leaks without taking it diving. The price raises questions in my mind. If it was $100 or so that would seem to be a more normal used price.

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I'm from NY and no one here is diving for another two or three months around here.

I'll have to walk away from this.

Phil

Umm, the Orca is a long discontinued (especially in light of computer technology) model. I would say $40 is a pretty fair price if it works. As I like the old Orca models, I would take him up on it.

However, I believe that the Marathon was last sold in or around 1998, so you'll be buying a 10 or so year old dive computer.

My mistake regarding the age. I don't know what I was thinking about. The price may be right however my other comments stand regarding either trusting the seller or being able to try it out.

I agree about trusting the seller or trying it out.

It shouldn't be too hard to at least see if it powers up. If the battery is dead, ask the guy to knock off the price for a new battery.

If it's the old skinny dipper model, when it powers up it goes thru a series of self checks prior to scrolling thru the normal depth limits. I still use the one that I bought 20 years ago and it's easy to use and Orca kept it very simple.

I have the opportunity to buy a used Orca Marathon dive computer. The seller (whom I haven't met yet) is asking $40 dollars for it. Does anyone know if there is a test button it? Or some other way to see if it's calibrated or working properly?

Or should I just walk away?

Phil

This is an old, bulky dive computer that hasn't been on the market since about the mid 90's. How do I know? I used to OWN one... in 1992!

That being said, it was a decent back up until it finally died 10 years later. I'm not even sure you can get batteries for them anymore. :depressed:

Keep the $40 to put towards a newer (and better) dive PC.

As an fyi, you can get batteries for it - at any batteriesplus or other battery store.

Granted, it's old, but if it works, then it's a great little computer as long as you stay within its no-deco rules (which shouldn't be too hard). :)

Back
Top Bottom