Help confused about what to get!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pggeek

Reaction score
The guy at my dive shop recommended and I had my mind made up on a uwtec AI but with all the bad things I hear and the now looking at the interface I don't think it is that great. I do like the sunnto and the interface but the dive shop recomended agenst it :( Besides it was a bit pricey.

So now I am thinking just getting a computer without AI since I will only be using it a couple of times a year. I would like one that downloads. Any sugestions. The sunnto I feel is just to expensive $550 for jsut the computer. Or is it that good and i should get it. What am I really getting over the $300 computers.

The features I would like are an pc interface and a good dive algrothem. Easy to use and clear to read.

Any sugestions?

Well... i am new to this and getting gear. I live in NJ and north east diving is just cold, murkey and everything is deep. So I see myself diving on vacation or flying to dive which means only 3-4 times a year. Maybe more.

I was looking at the suunto vytech. But $550 for just a wrist computer seems kind of high. I do like that I could add the air later though. What will I loose going down models? Just have not been diving with a computer so I don't really know what to look for.

As far as computers you have a lot of options out there. I personally use a vytec. It is the only computer in the suunto line that has hoseless air integration. I really like my suunto and had a uwatec smartcom before but didnt care for a console computer or the microbubble suppression set up.

Im not advocating this but several of ordered us our computers online saving several hundred dollars over diveshops. I buy about 80% of my gear from my local dive shop but somethings i just cant see paying extra for. If my diveshop is within a reasonable price of what i can order it for ill buy it from him every time as he is a great guy. If he doesnt carry(didnt carry suunto) what i want to buy or if i didnt like him i would mail order everything. But due to the fact he always makes me decent deals i buy from as much as possible. :D

You can get the vyper online from leisure pro fro $299 now I think. It's not AI, but other than that offers about the same features as the cobra which is AI. You can also save yourself some cash by making the suunto interface yourself. No more than you dive, I think you can easily get away without the AI feature. I have it with my cobra, but it may not be worth the extra $150 or so (i think its $450? at leisure pro).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom