Torn between the two

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedive

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I know the comparison between computers has been often asked and the answers can vary widely. I'm still shopping around and I have the opportunity to make a choice between a Suunto Vyper with interface included and a Commander Nitrox with interface included. Both are approx the same price and both are in MINT condition ar approx $300.
I'm just looking for feedback from anyone familiar with both which for what reason would be the better choice. I have read many threads indicating the Vyper is quite good and again many testimonials the Commander Nitrox is excellent.
Thanks for any input

freedive once bubbled...
Ok I know the comparison between computers has been often asked and the answers can vary widely. I'm still shopping around and I have the opportunity to make a choice between a Suunto Vyper with interface included and a Commander Nitrox with interface included. Both are approx the same price and both are in MINT condition ar approx $300.
I'm just looking for feedback from anyone familiar with both which for what reason would be the better choice. I have read many threads indicating the Vyper is quite good and again many testimonials the Commander Nitrox is excellent.
Thanks for any input

You say they are both in MINT condition. I must assume they are both second hand computers. If so, I would stay away from used equipment no matter who it comes from. You can buy a Vyper from LP for $300 and get LP's warranty. Always buy new if at all possible.......IMO

I took your advise on purchasing new and just purchased my first computer after weeks of deliberations and comparisons from LP. The ultimate winner was the Uwatec Pro Ultra. It was a tough choice between the other finalists but after reading up on all the features, prices, pros and cons, I think I chose the right one for my type of diving (recreational with nitrox in the near future).
Computer on my left wrist, compass on my right, and analog SPG clipped on my side :) The analog console will stay in the bag for backup.
Thanks to everybody that have answered my questions in previous post. I'll be taking out the "puter" out for a test dive this weekend.

Happy Diving

Freedive

Why the change from your previous two choices? Just interested. What is it about the Pro that made you choose it over the Vyper?

Well the Commander Nitrox was an e-bay item and was 3yrs old. I was told it only had 42 dives on it and it was in perfect working condition and the pictures showed it was perfect on the outside and included the anylyst sofware and cables for $300. The downside there was that Cochran will not work on these anymore if it goes sour and I thought about what Mark said and it sounded like good advice. It's a great computer but not repairable, all Cochran said they would be able to do was check it and clear the memory and if there was anything wrong I would be able to upgrade at a discounted cost to the new Commander.
The Vyper and Pro Ultra are also excellent computers and I thought about equally matched. There are some differences that to me were not important such as 24 hr lock out of the Pro if violations are ignored. I don't paln to ignore any violation unless I'm seriously in trouble and then I would not be diving for 24 hrs anyway. Gauge mode I didn't find a need for it with the diving I do and if I ever need it, I have a bottom timer and analog gauges anyway. The other differences were temp display on the Vyper and watch mode, for me also not real important. What really closed the sale on the Pro Ultra was the display. It was a bit bigger, better layout and easier to read in my opinion and I was not crazy about the graphs on the sides of the Vyper. I just preferred the numerical readings of the Pro Ultra. Like I said both are great computers and time tested to be very reliable. I read both online manuals for them read reviews and read plenty of comments about them on this board. Also the difference between a memo mouse or a cable was not a big deal either. For me it was just a matter of personal preferrences that made the difference between the two since the price was the same $299.

freedive

Very sound reasoning on your part. Like I said, just interested in your thought provess. Goes to show you how personal pref. take over as I prefer the graphs on the Vyper but both are fine equipment.

It's good to know I'm still of sound mind and body :D I hope to get to try it out this weekend if weather allows, I'll post my experience with it.

just wanted to throw in that there is nothing wrong with buying used gear. You can get some great deals on gear that is in perfect shape. Just have it checked out if you buy a computer or regulator.

Back
Top Bottom