Uwatec SmartCOM vs. Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox

Would you stay with the SmartCOM or would you change it to the Aladin Air Z Nitrox?

• Yes, and buy a mini combo and a compass too.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No, send the SmartCOM to the factory. The new one will be a better computer.

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
As an owner of the Uwatec SmartCOM that are being recalled these days I learnt only yesterday that I could replace it free of charge with the hoseless Aladin Air Z Nitrox or send it back to the factory for a new smartCOM.

I always thought that it is safer to have a hoseless AI computer and a mini combo with a pressure gauge and depth meter than just the AI computer at the end of the hose. But the smartCOM is supposed to be a better computer... oh.. and I will loose the compass, so I'll have to buy a combo and a compass... more expenses arghhh...

What do you guys recommend me to do? What would you do?

AIR Z ALL THE WAY BABY!!

I added a small SPG ( you dont need a depth gauge) and a Suunto retracting compass that I clip to my BC...which by the way I prefer to the wrist mount or the console mount compass.

PLUS...if you ever get into "technical diving" you can say bye bye to using the smartcom...but you will still be able to use the air z in gauge mode...much more versitile.

Who said you may have an Air Z free of charge? I have seen no solid evidence that the offer is on the table from Uwatec. I guess a dive shop could eat the difference and sell your new one (as used because the warranty has been registered), but what would the benifit be to the dive shop. Your local LDS didnt build, design, or recall the unit. I just dont get it, please let me know so I can have the option to ditch my Smart Com. Im not saying I would, but I would like to know my options.

Panama Jack once bubbled...
Who said you may have an Air Z free of charge? I have seen no solid evidence that the offer is on the table from Uwatec. I guess a dive shop could eat the difference and sell your new one (as used because the warranty has been registered), but what would the benifit be to the dive shop. Your local LDS didnt build, design, or recall the unit. I just dont get it, please let me know so I can have the option to ditch my Smart Com. Im not saying I would, but I would like to know my options.

Did you receive the recall letter from Scubapro/UWATEC? Just call the number and request the Air Z instead of waiting for the Smartcom. I did it for BOTH my smartcoms.

Do it directly through scubapro.

Called my LDS and while they didnt offer up the "trade in" after I mentioned the word on the street said I could trade in the SmartCom for the Air Z they said "No Problem" come on down. This is so much better than dealing with ScubaPro for the trade in.

I'm going to pick it up when I get my Nitrox training tonight. :)

I mentioned this trade in option to my LDS that is the Israeli UWATEC representative. He was surprised to hear this and said he will check it out. Two days afterwards I called him again and he said that he spoke with UWATEC and there is no such trade in option and that even UWATEC was surprised to hear about it.

Can anyone help? Anyone knows a telephone number of an official in UWATEC that can "pull the right strings" to help me do the trade in?

I really really want to trade my SMartCOM to the AIr Z Nitrox.

Please help.

diverUp once bubbled...

but you will still be able to use the air z in gauge mode...much more versitile.

How do you put the Air Z in gauge mode?

Just completed my Nitrox training and getting the new Air Z. The owner of the LDS said he didnt get a return call from the Scuba Pro rep today but he never acted like it was a problem. He just kept the card w/serial number on it and asked my to register the new unit on-line. No problem!!

My take on this is that the LDS know about the trade in program but some just dont want to deal with the further loss of inventory and the hassel of doing the return for you. It just so happens that my LDS is a big operation, I have bought tons of stuff from him and he beleives in customer service.

I have no numbers or contacts but dont give up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom