computer comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

De Spook

Registered
Reaction score
Background: I am IANTD nitrox cert, and quite comfortable using the tables and depth guage and bottom timer for calculating my bottom times etc.

however, I am interested in getting a computer for my casual recreational dives in case the sh*t hits the fan, and i end up over the NDL and require deco, as well as the weeks on holiday where multi-dive days are common.
I am also about to take deco procedures course and was interested in running the computer at the same time to compare the different algorithms, tables/PC generated/dive computer.

Therefore i am looking for a computer which will display:
Current depth
Max depth
Run time

as well as has a decent deco model that is going to get me safely out of the water. I like the idea of deep stops and am somewhat curious after running some simulations in the Suunto DM software as to how Vyper would react to these.

the models i am looking at are:
Suunto Vyper (not vytec, as i would rather set runtimes and alternate tables for serious deco diving/gas switchin)
Uwatec Smart Pro
Uwatec Pro Ultra

Thanks for your thoughts on these three computers.

Spook, if you look at some of the other threads on this board, you'll see very little if any bad mouthing of the suunto computers. The UWATECs however get bashed all over the place from recalls to coverups and lawsuits. So for my money, a choice between a UWATEC and a Suunto is no choice at all...:wink:

nyresq once bubbled...
Spook, if you look at some of the other threads on this board, you'll see very little if any bad mouthing of the suunto computers. The UWATECs however get bashed all over the place from recalls to coverups and lawsuits. So for my money, a choice between a UWATEC and a Suunto is no choice at all...:wink:

Of course Suunto also have problems that require recall.

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset

I dive with a Suunto Vyper wrist computer.

If you only dive one nitrox mix at a time, the Suunto Vyper should be great for you. You can switch it to Air mode or Nitrox mode or Gauge mode. It has a dive profile recall mode, which tells you your depth at every 1 minute interval of any actual dive. It also has a dive simulation mode, and a multiple dive simulation mode, with a surface interval planning feature as well. It also does actualy as well as hypothetical dive planning to a max depth of 150 fsw. Your dive simulations can go all the way to 500 fsw.

I wish it worked with multiple gasses, but it does not. The DiveRite NiTec allows up to 3 gasses.

Either one of those would be my two best choices for a dive computer for air and nitrox diving.

Spook, I recently purchased the Uwatec Pro Ultra. I had also narrowed it down to the Vyper or Pro Ultra after looking at many different types. I didn't need AI and wanted a wrist model that supported Nitrox (future planning).
The Vyper and Pro Ultra are excellent computers and I thought about equally matched. There are some differences that to me were not important such as 24 hr lock out of the Pro if violations are ignored. I don't plan to ignore any violation unless I'm seriously in trouble and then I would not be diving for 24 hrs anyway. Gauge mode I didn't find a need for it with the diving I do and if I ever need it, I have a bottom timer and analog gauges anyway. The other differences were temp display on the Vyper and watch mode, for me also not real important. What really closed the sale on the Pro Ultra was the display. It was a bit bigger, better layout and easier to read in my opinion and I was not crazy about the graphs on the sides of the Vyper. I just preferred the numerical readings of the Pro Ultra. Like I said both are great computers and time tested to be very reliable. I read both online manuals for them read reviews and read plenty of comments about them on this board. Also the difference between a memo mouse or a cable was not a big deal either. For me it was just a matter of personal preferrences that made the difference between the two since the price was the same $299.

Hope this helps :)

Ditto to DeepTechScuba's rec. Suunto Vyper is great gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom