Suunto Cobra, Cobra 2, Cobra 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HEMAN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So my question is.. i've decided I want the Suunto Cobra, but I am not sure which model. I can find info on the Cobra and the Cobra 3 on Suunto's site, but can't find any information on the 2?

Can someone shed some light on the differences? Or what's in the 2?
and what's the difference between the Cobra and the ones labeled "Air/Nitrox"

They all do Nitrox right?

I've got a Cobra 2. As I understand it, about the only difference between the 2 and three is that the electronic compass on the 3 has been modified so that the console can be tipped more and still work instead of having to be nearly perfectly level.

I've owned a Cobra and now have a Cobra 3. Love both of them, very easy to use, and the Cobra 3's integrated compass works great. I also got the quick disconnect, which simplifies toting the computer around.

I had a Cobra2 with the quick disconnect. The compass was terrible as it would vanish unless you held it perfectly flat. My understanding is that's what was fixed on the Cobra3. This wasn't much of an issue for me as I rarely use a compass.

I liked my Cobra2 but got rid of it as soon as the Atomic Cobalt came out. Don't go look at the Cobalt unless you're prepared to buy one as it will blow you away. :D

If you do get a Cobra, I highly recommend the quick disconnect. It really should be included with the computer as I can't imagine not having one.

Last edited:
for the price of the cobra 3 with qd i think i would look at vyper air

I had a Cobra2 with the quick disconnect. The compass was terrible as it would vanish unless you held it perfectly flat. My understanding is that's what was fixed on the Cobra3. This wasn't much of an issue for me as I rarely use a compass.

I liked my Cobra2 but got rid of it as soon as the Atomic Cobalt came out. Don't go look at the Cobalt unless you're prepared to buy one as it will blow you away. :D

If you do get a Cobra, I highly recommend the quick disconnect. It really should be included with the computer as I can't imagine not having one.

I briefly looked at the Cobalt.. but holy smokes.. $1200 for dive computer... i dont know if i'm ready to sell a kidney yet.. :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom