Smartcom Good News/Bad News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The good news is that my sSmartCom came back today.

The bad news is I can't connect to it with the IR adapter, and therefore can't configure it.

Anybody have any ideas?

The IR adapter was set at 4mbps, which I thought might be too high, so I tried 9600, but it still doesn't work.

I can connect to my laptop with the IR adapter, and connected to my smartcom before I sent it back, but the new one doesn't do anything.

From your posting it appears you can connect your replaced SmartCom to you laptop, but not your PC? It that is true maybe something wrong with your PC? If not, I'd send it back, after calling. I found for mine, I connect only to a Dell laptop, I would have to have it d i r e c t l y in line with the port and close for it to work. Still waiting for my SmartCom to come back. I got it from Leisure Pro, and when I called, they told me in so many words that I was going to be punished and would get mine back late. Jerks! Figured it was first come first serve, and I got it back to them within a week of the recall. Should have kept using it until now, since it worked fine. When did you send yours in? Thanks!

I checked two hours ago on my smartcom and found that they will be done shipping all the repair computers by the end of the month and go to selling to new buyers after that. So i think you should have yours by the last week of September.:mean: :wink:

Hey thanks! Maybe I'll get it in time for this last dive weekend Friday. Betcha they punish me and I get it in October, but I'll hope! Was just thinking, that with their dealers they are really engaged in price fixing. Should be illegal. They are definately limiting comsumer choice, prices and competition amoung dealers, everybody sells for exactly the same price. It is defacto price fixing.

It turns out that the SmartCom is fussy about the transfer speed.

I reset the IR speed in Windows to 19,200, and restarted SmartTrak, and it's working great!.

I'm not sure what the IR interface in my laptop is, but my desktop normally runs 4MBPS, which is apparently more than the SMartCom can handle.

I always assumed they did some sort of speed negotiation, but I guess I was wrong.

bruce123 once bubbled...
From your posting it appears you can connect your replaced SmartCom to you laptop, but not your PC? It that is true maybe something wrong with your PC? If not, I'd send it back, after calling. I found for mine, I connect only to a Dell laptop, I would have to have it d i r e c t l y in line with the port and close for it to work. Still waiting for my SmartCom to come back. I got it from Leisure Pro, and when I called, they told me in so many words that I was going to be punished and would get mine back late. Jerks! Figured it was first come first serve, and I got it back to them within a week of the recall. Should have kept using it until now, since it worked fine. When did you send yours in? Thanks!

Did I read that post right? They are shipping all of the SmartComs back by the end of September? I thought twice about sending mine in, until I heard that a buddy's had quit at depth in Bonaire. I'd hate to go on my trip with my old backup hockey puck.:confused:

bruce123 once bubbled...
Was just thinking, that with their dealers they are really engaged in price fixing. Should be illegal. They are definately limiting comsumer choice, prices and competition amoung dealers, everybody sells for exactly the same price. It is defacto price fixing.

It is, but because it's done from upstream, it's legal, apparently.

Sue them if you want... then maybe it'll change. Until then, *shrug* not much we can do.

Look at your local gas stations. How often are their prices different? Apparently that's legal, too... and it has stood up in court.

I gave my Smart com to my LDS the day after the recall came out and I still dont have one back. Is anyone else waiting this long? Fireguy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom