Air integrated wrist computer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony7781

Contributor
Reaction score
Staten Island, NY - Now you can see why I am tryin
# of dives
0 - 24
Im in the market for my first computer. I originally wanted to purchase an air integrated one to eliminate a hose, but I have been reading about alot of the units losing signal or not working properly. Would I be better off with a regular wrist computer and just a pressue gauge or should I stick with my original air intergrated idea? Also, any make/models you all can recommned would be appreciated!

I have only dove without a air intergrated wrist computer maybe 5% of my dives and i have to say 100% get one. the rest is choice but here is what i think about the 3 i have used

Scubapro Sol: Huge screen, great for deco or NDL diving, tons of features.

IR computer transfer is a little annoying, HUGE on the arm (im a small guy)

Suunto D9: about the same as the Sol just a lot smaller, worked great for long dive days cause i could just keep it on all day.

Used to dive with about 5-6 other people that had suunto computers and at times one of us...or all 5 would have problems with the computers losing track of which transmitter was the right one....after a little bit of time learning how to make sure that didnt happen we never had a problem

Aeris Epic: My newest addition, works great for 1/2 the price of the other 2 computers.

No compass but that really does not matter to me cause i like carrying a normal compass to use for teaching.

Over 150 dives i have had 1 problem with it losing signal during a dive and that was because i removed my BCD and apparently got it to far away from my D9.....after a couple min it found it again and i finished the dive.

Thanks for the information!! Do you also carry an SPG or just your AI wrist computer? So when and if it loses a signal, all you really have to do is move your wrist and it will normally reconnect? Do you know anyone who has used the Aeris Elite? LP has a great price on the full system.

I have been diving a Galileo for over a year and never lost signal yet. Most will "refresh" the screen and it may be mistaken for loss of signal. This only ever happens for, maybe 2 seconds.
The built in compass is the muts wotsits. Works at almost all angles unlike some other makes.
I like the fact I can adjust almost all the settings and I find the software for downloads very good.

Between my wife and I we have 4 Oceanic wireless air interated computers.
Sync has never been a problem but you must be aware that wireless computers do lose sync from time to time. Then you must consider how the computer pairs with it's transmitter and how it reestablishes sync after a loss.
Oceanic's computers and some others have the tranmitter codes get programmed into the computer during initial setup. Once done it retains the code unless you reprogram it or swap batteries in the computer.
Some other manufacturer's computers may scan for a nearby transmitter and then lock on when you turn them on. This can lead to problems. Know which system and how to deal with it is important in assuring good sync.
On the Oceanic type when there is a sync loss it is generally momentary and reestablishes itself quickly which does not effect dive safety. In the even of a longer sync loss the diver must consider how far into their dive they are, at what depth(to judge air consumption and air remaining) and based on that decide how long they are willing to give the computer to resync.

Simply the deeper you are and the longer you've been down the more critical the time factor without that info. However if you've been monitoring the dive a few second to a few minutes before regaining sync may not be critical. The computer continues to monitor all other aspects of the dive without the pressure related data and will recalulate on the fly if or when it resyncs.
So when I say sync has never been an issue it is because I've never had to thumb a dive because it has always reestablished sync within a safe margin.

Other people may consider the loss of sync for even a couple of seconds within the first 2 minutes of their dive at 30' and with a 90% full tank to be unacceptable. IMHO I'd call that alarmist yet if I was at 100'+ even early into the dive I may start a calm normal ascent while monitoring the computer and if it were to resync during the ascent continue the dive if the computer then shows sufficient time remaining.

I've been diving the Galileo Sol for over 14 months and 250+ dives and have yet to lose signal. My partner who has much longer arms does lose signal on his Sol evey so often. His computer recovers the signal right away and he has never had an issue with it.
And yes the compass is the best I've ever used.

I think no matter what AI system you choose you will like not having that extra hose.

Let us know what you decide

Are you SURE you are going to continue diving? AI wrist computers are PD expensive. How about looking at one of the really good, inexpensive ones, like a Uwatec Aladin 2G, which will serve you really, really well. . . and then be an excellent backup if you do decide to spend the $1k for an air integrated one.

If you have the $$$ to waste, then waste it. An SPG and basic wrist computer will let you do the same dives and leave you $$$ to pay for them; if that is an issue.

Yes, I do plan on diving for a while. That is why id rather make a decent purchase now instead of buying something that ill just wind up upgrading in a year or 2. I was looking into the Aeris Elite T3. I found where I can get that for a good price. The only diff b/t that and the elite is that the elite has watch functions right? Do you guys have any thoughts on this? or should I wait and save up for the Sol?

Im in the market for my first computer. I originally wanted to purchase an air integrated one to eliminate a hose, but I have been reading about alot of the units losing signal or not working properly. Would I be better off with a regular wrist computer and just a pressue gauge or should I stick with my original air intergrated idea? Also, any make/models you all can recommned would be appreciated!

I have had good luck with my ScubaPro Luna. Enjoy the convenience of wrist mount versus the hosed models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom