Cheap First Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi peeps

I've decided that now I've clocked over a 100 dives, it's time to get a comp.

My knowledge of comp's is pretty piss poor, so I turn to you's for help on which one you think is best to get that is cheap as chips (backpacker scumbag, little money, been away too long).

I want a wrist one, so I've got a flash watch that I can show off to people.

I want it nitrox capable in case I decide to become a prick and put myself so deep in harms way.

I'm not fussed about any bells and whistles, Just SLOW DOWN, beep beep. **** you're in DECO and an accurate account of max depth and dive time would be the dogs tezzers. Make a change from having to blag them.

Cheers in advance folks

Sounds like a Suunto Mosquito might be the way to go-wristwatch size and function, freediving, air, & nitrox capable, dive planning features and PC downloadable in the $350 (plus or minus) dollar range. Check www.suunto.com.

I was looking for just a dive watch and ended up going for the Suunto Mosquito because it wasn't that much more than the watches I was looking at. Did some basic research on its features and wrote out my check at my LDS. Got a good deal (I think), less than the price quoted above by Econodiver even though the price tag was higher (love that discount).

I was nicely surprised when I discovered that one of the assistant instructors also had a Mosquito (got some reassurance that changing the battery wasn't too hard -- and it's not -- when I had to put in a new one before one of my AOW dives).

-Rob

They have a nitrox compatiable computer thats wrist mounted for under $200 I have one and it's made by the same company that produce the Dacor Equanox 2 . I've got over 50 dive on it some in caves never had a problem. Easy to operate too.:D

With all the recalls and articles on the mentioned companies willfully withholding bad info on their products....coupled with your desire for a good computer that wont break the bank....

I would recommend the genesis react. If you decide to go non nitrox computer....the genesis resource.

both are good...solid...been around a while...economical

$299 at LP.

Nitrox capable, and works great.

Not sure why you want to be able to show it off to people, and wasn't sure if you meant "out of the water".

I want a computer that gives me the info, in a display I can read...And I bought the Vyper.

:wink:

is there something comparable to the vyper that isn't so hard to use? i find the menus and sheer amount of information on the vypers to be quite daunting.

I bought last week the Suunto Gekko and had last sunday my first dive with it (it is my first computer) it is a nice computer same as the vyper but not able to download your dives into your pc, and it only costs my around € 300,-- in my local diveshop. If you do not want to download your dive into your computer the Gekko is a cheap alternative (compared with the musquito and other even more expensive computers from suunto)
the Gekko is nitrox capable !

=-) =-)

mphs
the dutch diver

Two excellent choices are the Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra or the Suunto Vyper. Both are Nitrox capable, both are $299 and the difference between the two are minor and it usually comes down to info layout preferrence.

Chalk another vote up for the Mosquito.

Little, handy, all the useful info in a very natural to read display.

And the cincher, for me, user-replaceable battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom