Leaky Suunto Cobra Quick Disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My "beloved Cobra" has run into a problem -- the QD is leaking. I'd like some help understanding what is the solution.

Problem:

The QD that is attached to the HP hose, when the Cobra is not attached, does not leak. IF I take the QD off the HP hose and directly attach the hose to the Cobra, no leaks. BUT, when I attach the male part of the QD to the Female (hose end) part, there is a leak.

It looks like the male end of the QD is a solid milled piece with no O-rings -- is that correct? If so, how does it seal?

The female end (hose end) likewise doesn't appear to have any O-rings on the "pin" that goes into the male end. (Note, I have two female QDs and they both leak when the Cobra is attached via the male QD system.)

I'll be taking this into the shop soon, but just wanted to see if anyone out there in SB-land has the answer to this issue.

Cobra.jpg

I wonder if it is the o-ring(s) of HP spool or Internal o-ring for QR male part (K5168) at fault. Maybe your missing that internal o-ring (K5168)? Is it stuck down in the female end?

Also I believe this uses a Straight HP spool like this (see) which use two 003 o-rings

Refer to: Suunto Quick Release PDF doc. see pg. 4, 5

Check these 2 items:
- Internal o-ring for QR male part (3.80x1.50 90shA) K5168
- O-ring for swivel stem 5096

I think an o-ring replacement should get a very light coat of silicon grease, just enough to look moist.

MRT -- unfortunately I don't have the right O-rings but that IS the issue. The O-ring in the male part is gone. Maybe I should have this serviced every once in a while? :) I'll be at the shop in the morning and I hope (and am pretty sure) the Tech will help me out.

did you get it fixed? i might have a used suunto hp quick disconnect in a few days... interested?

--carlos

Peter, you have probably gotten your QD fixed by now. But for others. In the male portion of the QD there is indeed an o-ring. It is hard to see, remove, and replace. There is also an o-ring internal to the female portion. The stem on the female portion gets pushed back when the male portion is attached that is what allows gas to flow into the male side. To get to that o-ring you need a special spanner tool to disassemble it. Looking at the amount of corrosion on yours I would say that it is time take it apart, have it ultra-sonically cleaned, and have the o-rings replaced.

Last edited:
Sorry -- didn't post "the rest of the story." I took it to the shop and Al (the primary tech) looked at it, took it apart (and yes, it needed special gear which is one reason I didn't do it), cleaned it, put in new O-rings (on both male and female side) and then tried to ring it up to charge me. When he didn't find the codes in the computer he just turned, shrugged his shoulders and handed it back. Sometimes being an instructor and affiliated with a shop DOES have advantages.

And yes, all is fixed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom