Need help with Suunto QR install . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ruzster

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to install a Sunnto Quick Release (QR) to my Suunto analog SPG which is contained in a console along with a compass and Vyper computer.

According to the instructions, the threaded portion of the "male end of the QR" gets threaded onto the SPG and the "female end of the QR" (the swivel portion) is attached to the high pressure hose (HPH).

Need you bear with me here.

When referring to the "male/female end(s) of the QR" I am specifically referring to the respective connect/disconnect portion of the QR itself. This gets confusing because (for example) the "male end of the QR" attaches to the SPG at its female end while the "female end of the QR" attaches to the HPH at the QR's male end.

:confused:

Anyway, when removing the SPG from the HPH I noticed that the threads on the SPG had some sort of "plumbers putty-type" material on them. Anybody know what this is and whether it needs to be applied again prior to reassembly?

Now,when you disconnect the SPG from the HPH there is a approx. 1" long, thin, hollow, cylindrical metal piece with tiny O-rings at both ends that sits inside the male end of the SPG and prodrudes into the HPH. That same piece is also supplied with the QR and is shown in its supplied diagram as belonging in the (here we go) "female end of the QR" at the point where its male counterpart attaches to the HPH's female end. (where the SPG was originally attached to the HPH) ;-0

OK, so when I attempted to attach the SPG to the "male end of the QR," the little cylinder piece with the O-rings at both ends would no longer fit in between them like it did when the SPG was originally attached to the HPH. It's too long and doesn't allow the SPG to get threaded all the way down onto the QR. Is this because this cylinder piece is now supposed to get installed between the HPH and the "female end of the QR?"

Is the cylinder piece that comes with the QR just an extra?

Can I simply screw the "male end of the QR" directly to the SPG without using the metal cylinder between them?

Do I need to install an O-ring between the SPG and the QR? Strangely, the instructions make no mention of this and only refer to the use of an O-ring if installing the QR at the 1st stage regulator end instead of at the gauge/console end.

Whew! If this makes any sense at all you probably didn't need the excruciating detail but I'm trying to be as precise as possible. Any - ANY - assistance you care to lend would be greatly appreciated. I bought the QR from Leisure pro and I'm sure they'd be willing to help but I didn't want to wait until next week for an answer.

Thanks in advance, folks. :)

ruzster once bubbled...
Anyway, when removing the SPG from the HPH I noticed that the threads on the SPG had some sort of "plumbers putty-type" material on them. Anybody know what this is and whether it needs to be applied again prior to reassembly?

It's Loctite and you do not need to replace it just clean the threads before assembly.

Now,when you disconnect the SPG from the HPH there is a approx. 1" long, thin, hollow, cylindrical metal piece with tiny O-rings at both ends that sits inside the male end of the SPG and prodrudes into the HPH.

It's called an air spool.

OK, so when I attempted to attach the SPG to the "male end of the QR," the little cylinder piece with the O-rings at both ends would no longer fit in between them like it did when the SPG was originally attached to the HPH. It's too long and doesn't allow the SPG to get threaded all the way down onto the QR. Is this because this cylinder piece is now supposed to get installed between the HPH and the "female end of the QR?"

Is the cylinder piece that comes with the QR just an extra?

Can I simply screw the "male end of the QR" directly to the SPG without using the metal cylinder between them?

Do I need to install an O-ring between the SPG and the QR? Strangely, the instructions make no mention of this and only refer to the use of an O-ring if installing the QR at the 1st stage regulator end instead of at the gauge/console end.

The air spool goes between the air hose and the long end of the QD. It must be installed or it will leak.

The short end goes on the SPG. Yes there is an o-ring that must go on before threading on the male end.

To make it simple. Short piece goes on the SPG with o-ring supplied. Long end attaches to HP hose with the air spool between them. OK!

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom