igills new iphone case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sujo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this is very new on the market but has anyone looked at the igills iphone case? Water-proof case with a diving app allows you to turn your iphone into a dive computer, complete with light and compass. Very interested in it as I am looking for a new computer, this would be almost perfect
John

Nice as a waterproof case, but any company that suggests you use the same (feeble) battery as a back up light and video camera as your dive computer, well thats just plain dumbass. The fact they use it as a sales tool, placing lives at risk doing so, causes me to suspect the entire product, as the manufacturer does not seem to care a wit.

Suggesting it as a log keeping back-up, well maybe, or to check your stocks while 100 ft. down, yes it would be usefull for that.

Also, everyone who uses clamshell underwater photo cases knows just how vunerable these case designs are to even an eyelash hair across the o-ring, to cause a flood. Your dive computer, in a clamshell? I suppose they might be planning a bluetooth transmitter, for the full 'roulette version'

Honestly, I think you would not find a buddy to dive with. But I admit it does look like a very cool case - If the voice functions work... I want one!

My iPhone has locked up too many time for me to trust it as a dive computer.

I also don't trust an electronic "Swiss army knife" to be used as a dive computer. I just don't see an iPhone being robust enough and having the correct agorythms to be a dive computer. At that price, why not just get a real dive computer? and not risk flooding your phone.

...... I suppose they might be planning a bluetooth transmitter, for the full 'roulette version'.....
what is wrong with bluetooth?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

what is wrong with bluetooth?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Nothing wrong with bluetooth, I love it (at least at 1 atmosphere, no idea how it works in water) but my point was - you are trusting a *phone* to display depth, bottom time, etc., and so why not let your phone manage your tank presure as well and put it in charge of monitoring all the data that your life depends on. In for a penny, in for a pound.

seems too too to be true. how would iphone know your depth? That itself prevent it to be a dive computer.

....... how would iphone know your depth? .....
A bit of tiny magic?

See depth - and water temperature - indications on picture below taken with iPhone :D

divenav_bb_batray_iphone4s.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

A bit of tiny magic?

See depth - and water temperature - indications on picture below taken with iPhone :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Using GPS? Or external transmitter?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with bluetooth, I love it (at least at 1 atmosphere, no idea how it works in water) but my point was - you are trusting a *phone* to display depth, bottom time, etc., and so why not let your phone manage your tank presure as well and put it in charge of monitoring all the data that your life depends on. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I imagine that the case contains the transducers that are needed for depth (and maybe the receiver for the tank pressure sender), the rest of the stuff (e.g., a flux gate compass, etc.) is already there, but GPS does not work underwater. If us quite possible for the phone to provide tank pressure, air consumption, depth, decompression status, compass, navigation (if the accelerometers are sensitive enough), as well as still and motion photography.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

GPS won't know depth in water and temperature. The sateline signal is very weak. Water will absorb most of the signal, so a GPS receiver isn't going to be useful underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom