Computer comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCDivenut

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have done a ton of searches and read several tons of posts both on this board and "nameless" others :banging: , and after doing all that research I think I have my facts straight but I want to see what you guys think of my conclusions...
I am looking to get a new computer to replace my Genesis React Pro. I don't NEED a new computer :winkbl: but I would like to go with Air Integration. I currently dive a console setup and I am fairly happy with it since I really like having one place to look at everything. I looked at wrist mounted AI for convenience but if you have to have a SPG for backup then what is the point? My wallet also whimpers and runs for cover when it hears the word wireless. I am looking to get QD and compass built in as well.

A quick note on my and my diving habits - I tend to do 3-4 trips per year 2 week long trips and 2 short. I usually cram as many dives as possible into those trips and in one span have done 6 dives per day for 3 days! I am in my upper 20's and in moderate shape.

So after reading all the posts, etc etc here are the conclusions I have come to....

Sherwood Wisdom & Oceanic ProPlus2 - Both of these use the same algorithim so conservatism factors are the same. Both allow adjustment of these factors although they are always more liberal than the Suuntos. Primary difference between the 2 is layout and display screens.

Suunto Cobra - Smaller than the other 2 so readibility may or may not be a problem (?) RGBM equations have more conservatism built in, especially with repeated, multi dive days, even in its most liberal state.

Questions -
Does the ProPlus2 backlisght come on automatically (it seems to have a sensor)?
Do any of the countdown timers go second by second or do they just start and tell you when to end?
Does the larger size of the ProPlus2 mean better readibilty?
Does anyone think the screens/layout of one model is dramatically better than the others?
If I kept my Genesis React, I assume I could hose mount it or something as a backup computer. Any ideas?
Are any of the computer download software/modules ridiculously hard/easy to use?
Are my assumptions plain wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom