Ultimate Dive Log Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

falcos

Registered
Reaction score
Folks,
I've realized from reading threads and from searching around myself that many of you are not happy with the dive log software that is available...so I'm going to begin writing one.

Here's what I'm visualizing so far (in no special order):

- cross platform (pc/mac and eventually linux)
- importing options for many dive computers, and ability to add or download more as they become available.
- simple to use interface yet powerful enough for the hardcore divers/users
- ability to combine or count 2 dives into 1 (descend to 35' to grab something someone may have dropped and ascent back to surface - dive computers count this as a dive - is it really? well, have an option for that.)
- scanning features - scan in the written sig from your log book - and reprint if needed.
- custom printing template options
- dive log data - sort it anyway you want

I'm figuring that I'd like to identify what the drawbacks are with most of the dive log packages out there.

I want to start this in the next month or so which gives me some time to compile ideas and suggestions in hopes of programming the ultimate dive log software around.

tx
-s

Depending on what language you decide to write in, I may be able to help out (I am a software engineer specializing in .NET/SQL Server applications). I was thinking of doing this as a web based application because platform would not matter.

Dive log import is another important feature. I use the Suunto software instead of scubase, because it is a pain to open SDM, download data from my Cobra, export it out, open scubase and import. Direct reading of the most popular computers is a must in my opinion. Doesn't have to happen in v1, but really needs to be there.

I have tried most of the software out there, and there is room for improvement that is for sure.

Send me a PM when you get going on this. I may have some time to help out. I'm a professional software developer in C++ and Foxpro and I can get around fairly well in C and Java. I may be able to help with some coding and I'd be happy to be a sounding board for interface ideas and software specs.

I think this is a great idea and if I had any experience at all in programming I'd offer to help. If you need beta testers I'll be glad to sacrifice...er, offer the use of my computer for testing purposes.
Oh yeah, don't forget that not everyone uses mac OS X (hint: some of us use OS 9). Let me know if I can be of some help!

A bunch of people offering their time and effort to develop something that none of the manufacturers offer, a truly platform independent log. That would be very, very cool.

I don't have the skills to help, but I'd gladly test for you on the OSX platform. I'm currently debating between Suunto and Oceanic for my computers and this would truly be a great project for those of us who don't live in the microsoft world.

Thanks and good luck,

J.

I am also a ASP, .NET, SQL web developer. I have often thought about creating a site and eventually charging access to it that allows you to easily upload a dive profile from the cobra or any other computer directly to the site. Here is what I see as being a good start:

Create a client side application that interfaces with dive computer (create a webservice) that allows you to setup a userid/password. When you synchronize your cobra with the computer, it will automatically transfer the data from the cobra up to the website. The hardest part of this will be figuring out the datastream that the cobra uses.

This will allow you to have the best of both worlds: A local copy of your dive data as well as the same version on the internet.

The next step will be to allow pictures etc to be associated to a dive. Make it easy for a user to upload a zip file and assocate it with a dive (uploaded from the cobra) This is not new, it's been done many times before. Finally, allow people to associate GPS coordinates with each dive so others can join in on the fun.

Another good thing would be to have a master list of dive sites (Dedupe all dive site names and come up with a master dive site list). This will allow a person to select from an existing site list or enter in a new site. When a person is looking for recent dives at a particular site, they will be able to see all other's who have made their dives public. If pictures are associated to the dive profile, it will truely allow a user to get a feel of what to expect from the site. Let me know if you need help deveoping this.

There are several packages out there I have looked at:

Scubase was the closest to what I was looking for. It has a ton of features, but as stated above it is a pain to get my Cobra data into the application.

We really need to get a requirements list going which will allow us to choose features for v1 etc. I have server we can host the site on, I was looking for a decent name like divelog.com or mydivelog.com but they are all taken. any ideas?

Hello,

I m a computer scientist, mainly WAN/LAN administrator but I have litle expirience with software programming. Maybe I can help with coding (java,c) and testing.

If we want to create cross platform software maybe we should use to this java language ???

I posted a response on this yesterday, but for some reason it didn't get in the thread. So if the content shows up twice later, please understand that I'm doing this from memory.

First, I have the data stream from the Suunto Cobra (and I think several others in the same family). This came from another board member, who I can dig up the name of if anyone is interested.

As to requirements, platform neutral is a nice idea, but it does have some limitations. The biggest problem being that there isn't any one set of code (even Java) that will run everywhere. I notice a few comments on people knowing or using .NET languages. This actually is fairly easy to move to a variety of platforms, but not all platforms. For instance, it won't work on Palm, and if I remember right it also won't work on Apple.

As to uploading to a web, that's a nice option, and I think an important feature. However, for many that's not really a desired way of doing things. A few limitations, is the flexibility of the interface, and of course finding somewhere to host it. My thought is that it should be a fat client using modular components, this will allow for multiple interfaces, leveraging the same code.

As an example, I would like to see a Windows and Pocket PC interface, while someone else mentioned a web interface. If the computer interface, data management, math, and graphing modules are all built with clearly defined interface specifications, it is very possible to have three programs all leveraging the same components and sharing the same data.

My thought on the data, one which I think may be the first decision point, should be stored in XML. Granted XML isn't the most powerful database format, but it does have the advantage of not requiring any other special engines like MSDE, or a SQL database. It also has advantages that it can be imported into SQL relatively easily, and even generated as well. The XML may even be able to be rendered using a simple style sheet.

The other big advantage is that it allows to grow the data information by extending the schema as new devices come out, and new program functionaltiy is added. It also works very nicely with SOAP interfaces.

The first decision oddly enough is that we need to determine the programming environment. It might make sense for a commercial project to table this until after the requirements are in. But in our case the skill set that is willing to help is far more important. For practical purposes the only two practical choices are probably .NET or Java. I won't go into the pros and cons of each, mostly because its usually an emotional argument, not a practical or technical discussion.

So how many people want to work on this? I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, and I'm willing to bite off some spare time during the winter to work on it.

My vote is by the way for .NET. I have been using it on and off for a number of years now and have the top of the line version available to me.

Oh, my appoligies to the Mac folks. Unfortunately, .NET does not appear to be supported on Mac, I know there is an effort under way for Linux though. Even a Java program probably would not work with well with the Mac without modification anyway, particularly for the computer interface sections. Some of this simply gets too close to the hardware to make it work by calling nice sanitized objects.

Also, the user interface portion for the Mac works considerably different than Windows, and would like require a separate module just for Mac.

So in short if working on the Mac is a requirement then it will require Mac programmers to step up to it. Otherwise it simply will not get done.

Back
Top Bottom