Oceanic computers by Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Today I got a chance to coon finger the new Oceanic Versa Plus computer. The LDS dude told me that Oceanic computers are no longer being made by Pelagic, that Suunto is now building them for Oceanic. After looking at the Versa, it does have several features common to Suunto and the manual is very similar, too. The Versa is supposed to be very similar to the Suunto Vyper.

I'm wondering if the algorithms have changed. I currently dive with an Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus and Beast uses a Suunto Vyper. The DMPP loads nitrogen slower and clears slower than the Vyper.

Anyone know anything about this?

I saw the ad for the Versa in the latest Skin Diver issue. I was thinking that I am really glad that I didn't buy the Oceanic Data Plus because the Versa has several features that I wanted in my new computer. At the same time I was wondering about the algorithm it uses... Is it as sophisticated as the Suunto RGBM algorithm? If so then it has Everything that I want. I would be curios to hear the answers to your questions Dee.

-kate

Very interesting....a quick hop over to their website (www.oceanicworldwide.com) and poking around a bit on their descriptions didn't reveal which algorithm they used.

I too like the look of the new system.

Hi,

I recently purchased an Oceanic Versa Pro and I'm very happy with it. It has nice large and clear characters that my aging eyes can see clearly underwater. And gives me the information that I'm looking for (depth, dive time, time available at that depth, temperature, clock time, etc).

The documentation says the algorithm is "based on modified Haldanean Algorithm monitoring 12 tissue compartments, using DSAT database (Rogers/Powell), altitude and O2 limits based on NOAA". It calculates variable deco stops based on dive times. I don't know how this compares to the Suunto RGBM, but would be interested to hear from others.

It has a really nice log book, but the PC interface is not yet available in Australia.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from others who have a Versa Pro.

Originally posted by treble
The documentation says the algorithm is "based on modified Haldanean Algorithm monitoring 12 tissue compartments, using DSAT database (Rogers/Powell), altitude and O2 limits based on NOAA".
This indicates that Oceanic has retained the same algorithm as the older oceanics. Personally, I prefer this algorithm to the SUUNTO. I hope they have retained their tissue loading bargraphs as well, which I much prefer over the "consumed bottom time" of the SUUNTO.
Rick

Hi,

The Versa Pro retains the tissue loading graphs, one for Nitrogen, one for Oxygen. The display contains two bits of information, depth and dive time remaing at this depth, with the option of also displaying either max depth and dive time or temperature and clock time.

It worked well on this morning's dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom