How to tie bungee on DSS Mount??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVFT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok after a few google searches, I'm coming up empty handed. I just purchased the DSS mount for the Suunto (4 holes on each side of mount). Is there specific instructions on threading the bungee? I'm assuming there are multiple ways to do this (single strand of bungee vs two), but I'm looking for the most common trusted way of doing it. I would've thought there was a video or step by step pictures, but perhaps I'm overthinking this. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ps. Using the 5/32" bungee.

With thinner bungee, it will be necessary to tie simple knots at the cord ends to prevent them from slipping through the mounting holes. I like to use two separate cords that cross-cross diagonally. You can experiment with using different sets of mounting holes to align the compass the way your prefer on your forearm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my Suunto Gekko mount I use the method where the bungee doesn't cross itself. This thread from DiveMatrix shows how I have mine tied.

If you add a small overhand knot anywhere between the two top holes, then the computer will still stay on your wrist even if one of the fastening knots slips or the bungee is cut on either side.

A word of caution: do not make it so tight that you put a lot of stretch and stress on the bungee when donning or doffing. My mount was still quite new when I ripped the bungee right out, tearing one of the mounting holes. When I contacted DSS to see if there was a chance of replacement, Tobin told me that I had it rigged too tightly, they couldn't control how I tied it, and that to their knowledge "nobody has torn more than one mount." Good thing there are backup holes.

2013-12-29 12.14.55.jpg

To be fair, after I loosened it up it was easier to take on and off, and I have not in fact torn any more of the mounts. Lesson learned.

Nice! Can you elaborate on how to do this, sir?

I think I'm just looking to adjust between diving a shortie and say a 3mm or 5mm suit.

Orient mount back facing you with DeepSeaSupply script facing you right way up. Tie a knot at one end of bungee and thread through second hole back side and back through the front side first hole. Run loose end through back side fourth hold into third hole front side and tie overhand reef knot forming the loop you see in the photos. I hope this makes sense. If you need more detailed instructions let me know and I'll post again with step by step photos.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

For my Suunto Gekko mount I use the method where the bungee doesn't cross itself. This thread from DiveMatrix shows how I have mine tied.

If you add a small overhand knot anywhere between the two top holes, then the computer will still stay on your wrist even if one of the fastening knots slips or the bungee is cut on either side.

A word of caution: do not make it so tight that you put a lot of stretch and stress on the bungee when donning or doffing. My mount was still quite new when I ripped the bungee right out, tearing one of the mounting holes. When I contacted DSS to see if there was a chance of replacement, Tobin told me that I had it rigged too tightly, they couldn't control how I tied it, and that to their knowledge "nobody has torn more than one mount." Good thing there are backup holes.

View attachment 187292

To be fair, after I loosened it up it was easier to take on and off, and I have not in fact torn any more of the mounts. Lesson learned.

Yes, must have been too tight. I have 5 mounts one is around 5 years old from memory and touch wood no issues with any of them to date. I think using too thick or too thin bungee can also cause them to tear.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 11:13 AM ----------

Note: the instructions I posted are for how I lace computers only. I lace compass up differently as I wear them on an angle on top of my hand.

image.jpg

What's the best source for shock cord for these bungees?

Orient mount back facing you with DeepSeaSupply script facing you right way up. Tie a knot at one end of bungee and thread through second hole back side and back through the front side first hole. Run loose end through back side fourth hold into third hole front side and tie overhand reef knot forming the loop you see in the photos. I hope this makes sense. If you need more detailed instructions let me know and I'll post again with step by step photos.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

Yes, must have been too tight. I have 5 mounts one is around 5 years old from memory and touch wood no issues with any of them to date. I think using too thick or too thin bungee can also cause them to tear.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 11:13 AM ----------

Note: the instructions I posted are for how I lace computers only. I lace compass up differently as I wear them on an angle on top of my hand.

View attachment 187311

yea pictures would absolutely make it easier. Or...perhaps numbering the holes. So with the back of the mount and script facing right way....number holes starting with bottom left as 1 then going up as 2,3, & 4. Same for right side of mount. 1-4 bottom right starting at 1. Appreciate your willingness to help.

No, opposite. With the DeepSeaSupply on the back of the mount facing you, the top hole is number 1, next 2, next 3 and next 4. Script right way up facing you top hole is 1 and bottom is 4, same left and right. It's almost 2am over here, have a wee play and if you still can't get it let me know and I'll do a photo instructional tomorrow for you.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

What's the best source for shock cord for these bungees?

The last lot I bought was a bulk roll from DGX.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/hardware/tubing.shtml

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom