Do any computers apart from Suunto show the floor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblevision

Contributor
Reaction score
I make decompression dives.

My Suunto Gekko tells me whether I'm above the floor or not, "floor" being defined as:

"the deepest depth at which the decompression stop time will not increase. Decompression will start when you pass this depth during your ascent".

When I'm below the floor, it shows an up arrow and "ASC TIME" blinks. I really like this feature because, for example, it helps me decide whether to stop to video something at 15m during my ascent.

However I'm looking to switch away from Suunto because the Gekko's algorithm is too conservative for me. I much preferred the algorithm of my old Uwatec Aladin Pro, so I am thinking of getting a Subgear XP-10. But as I understand it, that computer (like the Aladin Pro) gives no indication of the floor.

Are there any other computers apart from Suunto that show if you're above or below the floor on a deco dive? As I'm in Thailand I'm particularly interested in the more mainstream brands that would have dealers here (Scubapro/Uwatec, Oceanic, Mares etc.).

Yes, but I don't teach diving or use trimix these days.

I'm looking for a computer primarily for single-gas air or nitrox diving, but I'd consider a computer with more features if it showed the floor and had a less conservative algorithm than suunto.

Yes, but I don't teach diving or use trimix these days.

I'm looking for a computer primarily for single-gas air or nitrox diving, but I'd consider a computer with more features if it showed the floor and had a less conservative algorithm than suunto.
any computer can do the work.
the floor is 1 or 2 meter under the ceiling.
no need to have a specific computer to know it.

you're a trimix diver, you know the rules.

any computer can do the work.
the floor is 1 or 2 meter under the ceiling.
no need to have a specific computer to know it.

you're a trimix diver, you know the rules.

Thank you for your reply. We must be thinking of different definitions of "floor".

During my ascent on a decompression dive, my Suunto Gekko shows me if I am off-gassing or still on-gassing. If I am still on-gassing (i.e. my stops are becoming longer) then it shows an up arrow and "ASC TIME" blinks. Suunto terms this as being "below the floor". When I move above the "floor" (in Suunto's definition of the word) the up arrow no longer displays and "ASC TIME" ceases to blink. That means I am no longer on-gassing but rather off-gassing (i.e. my stops are becoming shorter).

During the ascent from a repetitive deepish air dive, this floor may typically be passed at something like 15m. That's way deeper than 1 or 2m below the ceiling, which is usually at 3m. I find this feature very useful when I am deciding whether to stop to film something on my way up and I don't want to make my impending deco stop any longer.

I have not seen any brand other than Suunto with this feature. There is further explanation of it in fig. 3.15 & 3.16 and on pages 25-26 of the Gekko user manual.

I believe the RGBM50 algorithm selectable in the D6, D9 and Vytec is slightly less conservative than the standard RGBM100 of the Gekko, Zoop, Vyper etc., but still more conservative over repetitive diving than other computers including Subgear/Uwatec/Scubapro etc., whose algorithm I prefer.

not directly, but i believe all deco computers provide this information indirectly via the decompression stop duration value. if it is getting larger then you are below the floor. i am not a deco diver, but that is my understanding of how your old aladin pro worked.

but to clarify:
- you are doing deco dives
- you do not appear to have a plan
- you are riding your computer
- you want a more aggressive computer

If I understand things correctly, you are currently doing planned decompression dives using a computer that is not designed to do that and whose instructions specifically state that. The decompression algorithm it has is designed for unplanned, emergency events, but you are using it for planned dives. You are now asking advice for a different computer that is also not designed for decompression diving so that you can continue doing planned decompression dives. Do I have that right?

During my ascent on a decompression dive, my Suunto Gekko shows me if I am off-gassing or still on-gassing.

I assume you know that things are more complicated than that. During the ascent, some of your tissues are on-gassing and some of your tissues are off-gassing.

If I understand things correctly, you are currently doing planned decompression dives using a computer that is not designed to do that and whose instructions specifically state that. The decompression algorithm it has is designed for unplanned, emergency events, but you are using it for planned dives. You are now asking advice for a different computer that is also not designed for decompression diving so that you can continue doing planned decompression dives. Do I have that right?
the Gekko is a true decompression computer, as other Suunto.
it doesn't have features as backlite or nitrox, that's all.

Directly from the Gekko manual

Page 4 second WARNING on the page.

http://www.simplyscuba.com/pdf/scubamanuals/divecomputers/Gekko Manual English.pdf

DIVES WITH REQUIRED DECOMPRESSION STOPS ARE NOT REC-
OMMENDED. YOU SHOULD ASCEND AND BEGIN DECOMPRESSION
IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE DIVE COMPUTER SHOWS YOU THAT A
DECOMPRESSION STOP IS REQUIRED! Note the blinking ASC TIME
symbol and the upward pointing arrow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom