Sub Gravity H3 or Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.... i'll be in the market shortly for an upgrade of my Nitek computer.... I had made my mind up for the Petrel.... however, now the Sub Gravity H3 has come along and the price isn't that much more...
Sub Gravity H3 by Sea Bear Dive Computer - Dive Dive Dive

Shearwater Petrel 2 - Dive Dive Dive
Has anyone use the H3 and what would you do?

'Blackie

Tried tested and solid- Petrel...

Untried, unreleased, and unsure... sub Gravity...

Your life.

Your choice.

That's not to say in two years the H3 may not have proven itself after being the backup dive computer to a petrel over time...

Tested, highly recommended and bulletproof Petrel @$830 vs untested H3 @$1295? Mmmm, let me think about this.......

Alright, let's skip the "trust your life to" stuff. I love my SWs but I don't trust my life to any one of them. There's always at least one backup, and a second backup (usually a timer, cut tables, and a depth gauge) for dives where the deco obligation is more than a couple hours.

That said, I wouldn't buy an H3 yet unless I (a) wanted that form factor, and (b) was honestly sure I'd ditch it at a loss and buy a Petrel if it turned out to not be for me. The H3 seems more like a fancy rec computer than a tech computer, but I may just be biased against dive computers trying too hard to be digital watches. If you have to buy before real world reviews of the H3 come in, I'd go Petrel. If you can wait and see, subject to (a) and (b) above, do whatever you want.

I would wonder what, exactly, the H3 does better than the Petrel and see how relevant that was to my diving. The H3, as far as I know, isn't a CCR capable unit. Big ding for me, but maybe not for you.

The H3 is "Facebook ready". This rather important dive feature will make it fly off the shelves ;-)

Social media is a good marketing tool. We have no in water reports on the unit, it might even turn out to be a great DC. Only time will tell. Until then I would side with products that already have a track record, or wait and see.

Well somebody has to test the new computers. Go for it OP.

I do not think you will really go wrong in either direction. We sell both and are happy with everything that Sub-Gravity has released so far. That being said, the H3 has been tested, just not in the traditional consumer market. I personally dive the petrel and my business partner dives the H3. The H3 is just the shiny new watch version of some really awesome tech. Again, I do not think you will go wrong either way, but buy what makes you feel the most comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom