POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePetiteRunner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone!

I've always had such great luck with gracious, helpful people here on the boards, that I hope I can gain your expertise once more :)

I am utterly new and therefore highly uneducated to scuba. I'm currently in the middle of getting certified and I'm starting to look at equipment to pick up for my own set up. Of course a dive computer is at the top of my list of things to get.

So! If you would be so kind to indulge me, can you please tell me:

1. What was your first dive computer? (brand/model)
2. Would you have bought it again as your first?

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and read. Your responses will be much appreciated!

Cheers and happy diving,

Cathy

Oceanic Veo 2.

Would get it again as a first computer. Single gas, Nitrox to 50%, and a $100 download cable.

Next is probably a Petrel (or other successor by anyone) when this one becomes useless (would be on tables/gauge mode if diving more than 1 gas anyways, actually, it's always on gauge mode).

BRad

My first was an Oceanic veo 250 in a console. I would not buy it again, I don't like non-AI console computers. Other than the fact is was a console (with a hose) it did what I wanted it to do. What I did discover is that it is often worth the extra money to get what you think you want than to settle for something that somebody else said was all you needed.

Oceanic Data Max.
Air only.....LOL.....THE HORROR.
Non-Replaceable battery.
After 2 years, I paid about $40 to have the battery replaced.
After two more years, I needed the battery replaced again, so I paid $100 or so to buy the "then available" user replaceable battery model.
And then it died about two years later.
I then bought a Data Max Plus (Nitrox).
I would have to buy it again, as it was far cheaper than the Orca unit then available.

Chug
Oceanic Data Max (x2)
Oceanic Data Max Plus
Tusa DC400 (x3)
Hollis DG03
And I think the Shearwater Petrel is going to be next.

Sherwood source. I don't think they've made it for 20 years. Yos, it was a fine computer for what I used it for, and I would have it again if I were doing that kind of diving.

Now I have a predator (predecessor to the Petrel).

Suunto Favor air lux (available in my garage for sale) got it from Craigslist. Decent starter computer until I got my air consumption down in warm water, then switched to Oceanic so I could do realistic subsequent dives.

I have a used Veo 250 that I moved from a console to a wrist boot. I like it and would buy it again. I've only been diving for a couple years, though.

My first dive computer was a VT3 by Oceanic. A great three gas computer.

But knowing what I know now I would get either a Petrel by Shearwater or a DG03 by Hollis made for DiveGearExpress depending on your budget. Here is a nice brief summary on different algorithms.

Dive Gear Express has the DG03 for $250; the download cable and bungie mount for $120 more.
Diveseekers has the Petrel for $807 which includes a carry case (a $30 value).

These computers will grow with you as you progress with diving.

Best of luck.

PS: It always cheaper buying the right gear the first time.

Suunto Cobra. I would not buy it again, because it was air-integrated, and I have learned that I much prefer having my computer on my wrist, and that I don't need air-integration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom