Next Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delmolino

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About an year ago I bought a Zuunto Zoop when I started to dive and thought I would stay on recreational diving. Now that I am developing my skills and getting more comfortable, I am pretty sure that I will advance to at least "recreational tech diving" though it will take a while since I have limit time to dive.

I am now thinking to purchase my next DC, and after reading many threads here, I understand that when I get to the real tech stuff I should get a Petrel (or the equivalent). Fortunately I have a friend who already said will purchase my Zoop.

So I am thinking to purchase a computer that is able to gas switching that when I get to Trimix I could use in gauge mode. I'm leaning towards getting the Hollis DG03 (or equivalent Oceanic/Aeris) but also thought about stretching my budget and get the TX1 (could not find any solid review though) since it would already deal with Trimix and I could use as a backup in the future. What do you guys think? Any other suggestion?

Air Hogs Scuba in Raleigh has the Petrel2 for $765.... can't argue with that

Hollis DG03 is an equivalent of Oceanic/Aeris because they are part of the same parent company. The DG03 was discontinued a while ago so there is no current equivalent. Dive Rite Nitek Q is pretty nice as well.

Someone on here is selling a new Oceanic Geo 2.0 which wouldn't be a bad choice. Watch form factor so good for travelling, and does have gauge mode, though with all of these types of computers you do have to get a download cable separate which should be factored in unless you are logging manually

Here is my suggestion, there are many like it but this one is mine...

It sounds as though you may be the type of individual who wants to grow in diving as they go along. That said, you may consider planning for the diving that you will be doing five years from now. Since you are looking for a new computer, my recommendations are always the Sub Gravity H3 / T1 or the Shearwater. Between these three computer systems, there is really no type of diving that you cannot do. The T1 is not set for release for a while though. The H3, in my opinion, will truly become the standard system sought be individuals in your situation. That is assuming that your situation is the following:

I got into diving and I really enjoy it. I see myself becoming more and more advanced but I have not decided if I want to go full tech all of the time.

The H3 is a perfect balance of hard core tech stuff with recreational still in mind. The Shearwater is something you can save some money on right now, but the Canadian Dollar can bounce around some. I know a guy who sells Shearwater right now if you want to get in touch with him lol. You are very much on the right path by doing your research into the system that you want to have and I applaud you for that. Good luck in your searches and please let me know if you need anything at all.

When will you be planning on taking a Staged deco with Advanced Nitrox course?

Getting in touch with some instructors, planning to start as soon as April if possible.

Getting in touch with some instructors, planning to start as soon as April if possible.

You will be able to do a ton of East Coast diving with those two courses which usually are done at the same time.
If you were waiting till next year buy the DG03 since technology just keeps getting better.

But since your preparing for this April I would buy the petrel 2 @ $760. Get familiar with the computer before class. You can always buy a secondary computer in the next few months. Which may just be a watch and a depth gauge you may rent. You will be diving with a personalized dive table for your particular dive as your primary with the dive computer confirming. Tech diving will not be cheap in the beginning. Buying right the first time will save you money in long run.

Once you you decide on an instructor, go through a gear check/review in person as soon as possible.

Remember to always have fun during training. If you get frustrated, take a deep breath, smile and tell yourself you will have fun during the surface interval. Then figure out what caused the frustration and ask your instructor how to fix it.

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. I spent my weekend researching a little bit and reading manuals. Specs of both Petrel and the H3 are amazing and I would definitely be able to grow with them. However, I am now considering the alternative to invest my money in a GUE fundamentals training to get my skills ready for tech diving and if this is the path I decide to take, the Adv Nitrox + Deco will probably stay for next year. Will decide this during this week, but still open for suggestions (in both the DC and the training path).

Take fundies , you won't regret it. Skills that will serve you well. You'll find as well that at tech level most cut tables so little need for a mixed gas computer. Just a BT and maybe a PDC in gauge mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shearwater Petrel 2. No doubt. Best computer, best service and support.

H3 is still semi vapor ware and has not had significant use in the field, and support is a huge question mark.

BTW, I'm starting AN/DP Jan 31, and also doing Fundies February 12-15. Using my Petrel1, and DG03 as backup.

The only posts I've seen touting the H3 are from people who sell them.

Fundies will be a great foundation. The petrel is great. The best thing about a computer is it gives you real time decompression adjustments something using table and timer mistakes are easier to make. Tables are very important to learn and use when planning but have a computer and backup computer can replace underwater.
But if your only using one computer you can't avoid having a couple tables underwater as primary and backup. I use 2 computers and still cut tables
Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom