Petrel owners: what mode do you use for a recreational NDL sport dive?

Petrel owners: what mode do you use for a recreational NDL sport dive?

• Leave it in Technical mode

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Switch to Recreational Nitrox mode

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave mine set on tech mode while on recreational dives so that the screen is exactly the same when I go on a deco dive. I like to keep things as uniformed as possible so that when I am doing the deeper stuff everything is familiar.

If the truth be told I did not really see much of a benefit in the recreational mode, I guess it has more relevance to other divers

Since I dive both Rec and Tech (deco), I keep it set to OC TECH mode for the same reason as scoobydrew. I keep everything consistent with my computers and gear.

If I was only a Nitrox recreational diver, I would use the recreational nitrox mode. Nice simple layout with large depth, run/dive time, gas type, and NDL font with color tissue loading bar. It even gives you choice of what real time dive information in the center and right bottom row you want displayed or none at all. It's a beautiful simple simple layout lay out for a recreation diver switching over from other non tech/trimix computers.

Edit: It also promotes the optional safety stop. Adaptive safety stop setting is cool. Stay above 100' with more than three minutes NDL, it sets to three minutes. Go below 100' or less than five minutes NDL, it sets to a five minutes.

But most importantly, with only three choices of conservative algorithm settings, it will keep divers out of trouble for lack of understanding what the settings (GF low/high) actually do.

If you diving more than three different gasses, chances are you are in the technical world and should understand algorithms and setting.

All other information is available during a dive with alternate information viewable on the bottom row with a push of the right button.

Last edited:
I use rec mode because I dont do that much deco stuff and my other half is a basic diver so I use rec mode for her benifit.

I leave mine in oc tech mode so I look cooler on the boat.

Actually it's because I forget to change it and I really like to look at the graph of tissue tension during deco or safety stop, is that still shown in recreational mode?

I leave mine in oc tech mode so I look cooler on the boat.

Actually it's because I forget to change it and I really like to look at the graph of tissue tension during deco or safety stop, is that still shown in recreational mode?

Yes but but you have to press the right button five times to see it.

Whats recreational diving?

Back
Top Bottom