Time for a new computer…looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srkmrd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving with a Suunto Eon Lux for years, before that I had the first Eon, before that I cannot remember. It has worked well so I have just never changed, it has had me do multiple stops a few times but never locked me out. I have not dove Nitrox, so my setup worked fine.
I am thinking about going to Nitrox on some dives... And also on my last blue water trip, the battery went out and I did not have a spare with me, the battery that the Eon Lux takes is not easily accessible so I ended up using a rental, I do not want to get stuck doing that again!
I am used to the air integrated but am thinking I may want a wrist model with a receiver. Then have gauges for backup. Or go back with an AI and get a second wrist computer for back-up.
All that said, I keep looking at the Suuntos but just because that is what I have dove with for years with little trouble.
I definitely would like something with a good software, especially if there is software that is ipad compatible as that is what I carry on most trips.
The D9tx looks cool, but not sure if I want to spend over $1000.00. Husband told me when I decided I wanted a new one that I could get whatever I want and that could be my 50th birthday present…….luckily he said that in front of witnesses. But still not sure ……… back when I was diving over a 100 (mostly teaching) dives a year it would have been a no brainer, but now we make the at least one blue water trip a year and then the occasional lake dive here in Texas.
The vyper is probably compatible to what I have been using. Basically looking for advice on what is out there in Suunto right now and what might be a better option in another brand.

You will get a lot of people on here telling to get a shearwater petrel, I was skeptical but did the research and bought one. I couldn't be happier, one of the best features is the AA battery, that solves one of your problems. My previous computer was a hose less AI suunto, it was fine but there is no comparison to the petrel.

You will get a lot of people on here telling to get a shearwater petrel, I was skeptical but did the research and bought one. I couldn't be happier, one of the best features is the AA battery, that solves one of your problems. My previous computer was a hose less AI suunto, it was fine but there is no comparison to the petrel.
So do you miss the AI. I think that is a feature I would miss. I like to have everything pretty much on one screen.

Nope - don't miss it, it was nice to have, but it's also nice knowing I don't have to wonder if it will synch it before the dive (only happened a handful of times).

True that. I have not used a hose-less before but always air integrated. I have 2 or 3 months to decide, so hopefully I will get lots of advice and opinions here.

Get a petrel and bam your in love

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

....... All that said, I keep looking at the Suuntos but just because that is what I have dove with for years with little trouble.
I definitely would like something with a good software, especially if there is software that is ipad compatible as that is what I carry on most trip.
You can use our DCbuddy wireless adapter to direct download logs from any Suunto (and many other brands) dive computer using your iPad.
Then you can either use our divePAL for iPad app or the Dive Log app (from More Mobile Software)

I have a suunto vytec and wireless transmitter I'm selling, $399. Just put a new battery in it. Comes with DSS bungee mount. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One point to mention about AI, I found it good to figure out my SAC during a dive (both under exertion and resting), now I know that so the AI has served its purpose.

I used to dive Suuntos, a Mosquito, a Gekko and a Vyper. The Mosquito died. Prior to losing the Gekko it gave me no problems and I was happy with it. The Vyper gave me no issues either but eventually sold it as my eyes got older I was finding it increasingly difficult to read.

I bought a Heinrichs Weikamp Frog, a bluetooth, colour computer that ran on AAs, I loved it until it died. The colour screen was so much easier to see. I ended up buying a Petrel. At $900 it was more than I wanted to spend but it had all the features I value, colour, Bluetooth and ran on user replaceable AAs. The big swing was the countless glowing reviews by the good folk on SB combined with Shearwaters exemplary customer service. The computer is very easy to use. I only rec dive. If I lost it I would replace it with another. I love it, in fact other than my MB-Sub canister light it's my favourite piece of dive gear. I do a lot of low viz and night diving and in combination with my aging eyes the colour screen is a god send.

Most computers on the market will likely serve you well you just need to settle on a budget and what features are important to you. Good luck with your search and congrats on having such a nice and generous husband. Happy 50th.

Back
Top Bottom