Easier to use? Suunto Vytec or Vyper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Which is Easier to use?

The Vytec or the Vyper?

Looking for "ease of use" comparison between these two models.

I know they are different in air integration and gas mix---besides that how easy or how difficult are they to use when compared to each other?

Thanks, An AZ diver getting ready to buy new computer.

As far as I understand they are set up identically. The Vytec comes with that boot that may or may not make the buttons easier to push. But from what I've been told, the menu set-up and the button lay-out/access are identical (minus the boot on the vytec).
I plan to buy a vyper as soon as I can find the cash.
As far as I know, the vytec and vyper only differ in those differnces you mentioned. As well as perhaps a few other small options (like the RGBM50 mode in the vytec).

Yerba Mate:
As far as I understand they are set up identically. The Vytec comes with that boot that may or may not make the buttons easier to push. But from what I've been told, the menu set-up and the button lay-out/access are identical (minus the boot on the vytec).
----- As well as perhaps a few other small options (like the RGBM50 mode in the vytec).

Has anyone used both the vytec and the vyper diving?

Are they set up the same or do they differ somewhat and does the boot on vytec change its use making it easier, more difficult or does it stay the same?

Thanks, An AZ Diver

azsilver:

Are they set up the same or do they differ somewhat and does the boot on vytec change its use making it easier, more difficult or does it stay the same?

Thanks, An AZ Diver
Why don't you read the user manuals? You can download them from Suunto's website.

azsilver:

Thanks, An AZ Diver

I dive both the Vyper and Vytec. They more or less are operated identically, but the Vytec as a few differences in the menus (obviously for the Air integration an a couple other things). I don't know about the boot and such, but the units are shaped identically. I have my vytec dual-looped bungeed on my wrist and the vyper in a console.

warren_l:
I dive both the Vyper and Vytec. They more or less are operated identically, but the Vytec as a few differences in the menus (obviously for the Air integration an a couple other things). I don't know about the boot and such, but the units are shaped identically. I have my vytec dual-looped bungeed on my wrist and the vyper in a console.

Thanks for the information! How long have you dove with the vyper and the vytec? and you are using the Air integration with the vytec? Are you happy with them?

Thanks, AZ diver!

ScubaRon:
Why don't you read the user manuals? You can download them from Suunto's website.

ScubaRon

Thanks, I have looked at the manuals for both of the computers.

But only viewing manuals verses getting feedback from an owner who uses the computer(s) is a lot like looking at a New Car owner’s manual, seeing photographs and not talking with an owner who drives the car(s)...the manual can give you a lot of great information --- but talking to someone who owns and drives the car can give you insight on how it handles and performs.

I am hoping to hear from divers who dive with the computers.

azsilver:
Thanks for the information! How long have you dove with the vyper and the vytec? and you are using the Air integration with the vytec? Are you happy with them?

Thanks, AZ diver!

I've had the vyper for about a year, and the vytec for about 6 months. I love the AI on the vytec. Really convenient having all the info on my wrist. The vyper is more or less just a backup that I don't really look at.

Warren_L:
I've had the vyper for about a year, and the vytec for about 6 months. I love the AI on the vytec. Really convenient having all the info on my wrist. The vyper is more or less just a backup that I don't really look at.

We both have vytecs and uwatec wrist air z nitrox computers. We use analog pressure and depth gauges to back them up. Both computers functioned very well and we are very happy with the vytecs and their ease of use.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

AZ Divers

Yerba Mate:
The Vytec comes with that boot that may or may not make the buttons easier to push. .

The boot on the Vytec doesn't make pushing the buttons any easier and it holds water against them leading to corrosion. I cut it away.

Back
Top Bottom