AI computer which?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olphart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, OK, I know.. AI computers are only for muppets who can't mentally compute BTR on the fly, while back finning out of a cave restriction against the flow, wearing properly balanced hogarthian rigs in perfect trim.

Hey! That sounds like me! Seriously, I am thinking about going over to the dark side, not only to satisfy my technolust. I like the idea of having running feedback on how my gas consumption is affecting ATR.
Sort of hit me when I remembered how ascending less than 10 feet made a big difference on my NDT some years back during a drift dive in super viz. That info changed how I thought about "cruising depth".

I like my Mares Icon HD, as huge as it is, but I'm not sure that going to the AI version is the way to go.
The problem is that with all the brouhaha around the new AI products out there having all manner of defects, it's hard to find an AI that would be a reasonably priced, and reliable backup for that big screen TV I carry.

Any thoughts out there about what would be a good, reasonably priced, easily read, AI computer? :confused:

I assume you want a hoseless wrist computer rather than a console but you didn't say. Do you want the decompression algorithm to be able to match your Mares computer? I've heard the RGBM Mares-Wienke algorithm is on the conservative side but I don't know details. What is reasonably priced? What is easily read, can you read a wristwatch dive computer or do you know you want something bigger?

I guess this will be one computer thread that will not immediately end up in "buy a Petrel", though, I really wish they would produce an AI version

I guess this will be one computer thread that will not immediately end up in "buy a Petrel", though, I really wish they would produce an AI version[/QUOTE]

Yup, hoseless would be the first choice, not being a fan of consoles. However, since I use an spg anyway, not the worst idea.
And yes, an AI Petrel would be irresistible.
I do need an easy to read face. That's why I like my Icon.

Buy a Petrel.

I like my AI computer. I know it's an extra unnecessary failure point but I like technology. Being technology it's not perfect hence why I always dive with a SPG clipped on my left D-ring. Plus if I isolate my doubles for some reason, I will know how much gas I have in each tank since I have my SPG off the left post and the AI off the right post.

The Oceanic VT3 has been great. I only had a signal lost issue on 3 dives over the 5 years. But would be ready for the next dive on the same day.

I have not read any complaints on the VT4 as well. Not surprising since it's an updated VT3 with a dot matrix screen, user firmware upgradeable, and more friendly menus.

The Oceanic transmitters are built like a tank but don't use them as a tank handle.

Although the VT3 has served me well. My Shearwater spoiled me. I like the color screen and grew tired of pushing a button to see under dark conditions.

I will be receiving the Oceanic VTX with bungee mount next weekend. I was told Oceanic made hardware changes that fixed the poor signal receiver performance that people experienced with the Aeris A300 CS.

We'll see....

If Shearwater went AI which some say they never will, would rock. Shearwater would not adopt something that is not proven in their eyes. But as technology progresses I would not rule anything out.

I like my Mares Icon HD, as huge as it is, but I'm not sure that going to the AI version is the way to go.
The problem is that with all the brouhaha around the new AI products out there having all manner of defects, it's hard to find an AI that would be a reasonably priced, and reliable backup for that big screen TV I carry.

Any thoughts out there about what would be a good, reasonably priced, easily read, AI computer? :confused:
What is your definition of reasonably priced?
I've been happy with my Oceanic VT 4.1, and bought it for a great deal about a year and a half ago. Screen is large enough for me to easily read, but then I have pretty good eyesight. Right now it's around $1,000.00 with the transmitter. I paid about half that when I bought mine. List price at the time was $1,200, but Oceanic offered a trade-in, and my LDS price-matched any online prices.

It's got dual algorithms (Z+ and DSAT), so you can switch to the one you are more comfortable with.

The problem is that with all the brouhaha around the new AI products out there having all manner of defects, :confused:

Um, what NEW products, and what "all manner of defects" ??? I'm unaware of ANY flat out defects pertaining to wireless with any of the dive computer manufacturers. Here's what I DO know; I have 2 Suuntos that work flawlessly for Open Circuit, and I also have AI on my rebreather.
all working just fine.

I used an AI computer for years. It was nice to have the data however I think it was more of a having the data issue that a practical issue. I use petrels now so I will get that out of the way. One thing I liked about the AI was the fun trying to out think the computer. one moment I am time limited to 3 min because of ndl. I then go shallow then I get 15 min limit based on tank psi. once you get the hang of what your computer is doing it becomes a great learning tool.

Um, what NEW products, and what "all manner of defects" ??? I'm unaware of ANY flat out defects pertaining to wireless with any of the dive computer manufacturers. Here's what I DO know; I have 2 Suuntos that work flawlessly for Open Circuit, and I also have AI on my rebreather.
all working just fine.

"Um,"have a look at threads re Aeris A300 CS and Liquivision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom