New AI computer for Daughter question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Have a question I need some advice with. My wife and I are experienced open water divers and both have Scubapro Galileo Sol dive computers. My daughter is turning 14 in April and in May we are taking her to Orange Beach, AL to get certified. So I was thinking of either getting her the Galileo Luna, OR buying myself a new color computer and giving her my SOL. I do want to keep AI, so no other computer is an option. I was looking at either the Mares ICON HD or the Oceanic VTX? We are not Tech divers or Cave divers. So what are you guy's opinions on the matter? Get her a Luna or myself a color computer?? Thanks!

Since you and your wife are using Scubapro Galileos, there's an argument to be made for having the 3rd computer using a similar algorithm. The assumption is that you'd be diving together, so it would be nice if your computers would track similar.

I'll be doing similar with my daughter later this year. I'm using an Oceanic VT 4.1. So, I'm looking at Oceanic's for hers. Not only for the algorithm compatibility, but also familiarity with the UI. The VT is my second computer, and second Oceanic. User interface on both was similar enough that the VT was very easy to navigate for me. I'll be better able to show her settings, and confirm settings on a menu I'm familiar with.

If the Sol & Luna use similar menus and settings, I'd recommend going that route.

I would not get her a computer until she actually finishes her class and you know she wants to keep diving. Unless of course this is just an excuse for you to get a new one:wink:. Not a thing wrong with that by the way. :D

Reactions: Jax
If you are willing to go with a console and hose, I would be happy :D to point you towards our Atomic Cobalt as an air integrated color computer:
Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer - Simply Brilliant

In hoseless models, there is a lot of new gear in development, and I expect the technology to change- improve- a lot in the next couple of years, if that alters your calculations.

If you subscribe to the adage (as I do) that manuals are the documentation of user interface failures, then the length of the manual is a good inverse guide to how difficult a computer is to use. That can be a factor, particularly for a new diver.

Ron

I would not get her a computer until she actually finishes her class and you know she wants to keep diving. Unless of course this is just an excuse for you to get a new one:wink:. Not a thing wrong with that by the way. :D

What Jim says. Rent. It's a long time between 14 and 20.

Well, she has been to Mermaid Camp at Weeki Wachi Springs twice and swims with a mermaid tail at our lake house, so she is very comfortable in the water. She loves all things Ocean, so I think she is going to be a natural. But you are correct, we don't actually know for certain that she will want to continue diving, but my hunch is that she will. And I want her to have good equipment when she dives! She is my ONLY daughter! LOL

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2015 at 07:33 PM ----------

Anyone have an opinion on either the Mares Icon HD or the Oceanic VTX computers? I love my SOL, but really am interested in the color screens now out. If Scubapro came out with a color screen model, I would not even be here asking the question!

Sorry, in my opinion the only computer worth considering over 200 bucks is a Shearwater. No need for AI, buzzers, alarms, or a computer that locks you out for any reason.

Color AI computers now on the market include the two you mention, Oceanic VTX and Mares Icon, plus the Atomic Cobalt, and the Liquivision Lynx. I’m not sure if the Suunto Eon is yet available, but that might now be another, though expensive, option. Others, like SeaBear, have promised AI but don’t have it currently- this is a rapidly changing market. All of these manufacturers have forums in the ScubaBoard Manufacturer’s section, and you can get more opinions than you are likely to want looking at their sections. Just bear in mind that forums tend to attract those with problems, so all of these products are likely to perform better than it would seem from reading the posts. Most people like their dive computers.

What is important to you? Are you someone who studies manuals, or do you want something that is easy and intuitive to use? How important is battery life to you? Adding color screens, whether TFT or OLED, puts much higher demands on batteries and power management. How long do you want / need to be able to go without changing a battery or recharging? There is significant difference- Mares Support lists the Icon HD Net Ready as having 5-7 hours of dive time, and two weeks of standby, at the other end of the spectrum Atomic has 25-50 hours of dive time (depending on screen brightness) and six months of standby on a charge. The VTX, by reports, is somewhere in between but requires a physical battery change rather than just plugging the computer into a charger.

User changeable batteries that need to be swapped out (Oceanic, Liquivision) vs. batteries that can be charged in situ (Mares, Atomic) is a personal preference. My feeling is that every time you need to open up the computer there is another possibility for something to go wrong. There is quite a bit of variation in screen resolution among these color screens, with Mares and Atomic having the most pixels and the largest screen displays, Oceanic and Liquivision being smaller (also more compact) and lower resolution.

You should be aware that while color screens are wonderful to read in dim light, they have disadvantages topside in the tropics or in bright, shallow diving. In those circumstances emissive displays are never going to be as clear as the plain old LCD on your SOL.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference and diving style, what is important to one may not be important to another.

Hope your daughter loves diving as much as it sounds like she will- I think you are right to want to get her good equipment. Particularly for smaller women, getting gear that fits well can make all the difference in comfort and enjoyment.

Ron

You should be aware that while color screens are wonderful to read in dim light, they have disadvantages topside in the tropics or in bright, shallow diving. In those circumstances emissive displays are never going to be as clear as the plain old LCD on your SOL.

I have to disagree with this statement.

I dive the new Sunnto Eon Steel (I'm going to post a review shortly) here in Dubai where very bright sunlight is the norm. Quite a few of my club members dive the Luna and the Sol and we've compared the readability. The Colour display of the Eon is no better or worse to read topside. Underwater in the shallows it has more clarity than my old Leonardo (still being worn to log dives until Mac dive release the Eon interface) - indeed as the vis or light decreases the colour display is much better.

Regarding battery life. I was advised against the lynx (by tow Lynx owners) because of the battery compartment. Certainly availability of batteries and being able to change them is a major factor to consider. Although mine is rechargeable, on a full charge is has 35 dive hours (according to the display) so far it's done 6 dives over 1 month and is still reading 25 hrs remaining having not been recharged. I see no issue with recharging a computer especially on a Liveaboard given I need to recharge my dive lights, camera, iPad and Computer more often.

As for the Mares Icon, having never dived one I can't really comment except to say, last year I was looking to upgrade and went to the LDS who had two in stock (I wanted one for my wife) He wouldn't even get them out for me to look at as he said they weren't suitable for us (we only do recreational diving - but weekly) and that we would hate them. Bear in mind he had no other products to offer us thus chose to lose a sale rather than sell something he knew was unsuitable. Again I've never dived one but my research has backed up his comments for me at least

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom