First Dive Computer

Which Dive Computer do you recommend?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuri_RP

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

After deciding on First BCD at another thread, now I want to ask about Dive Computer.
I live in Indonesia. I'm a newly licensed CMAS A1 Scuba Diver with 5 Log, currently training to reach CMAS A2 level.
I'm planning on continuing my Scuba Diving lesson until at least Divemaster / CMAS A4 level.
And I would like to learn Technical Diving too in the future with the ultimate goal to do Rebreather Diving.
I expect to reach this level by 2 to 3 years.
This will be my FIRST Dive Computer.

Currently I'm looking at several Configuration.
1. A Wristwatch Dive Comp with Air Integration + Analog SPG (Suunto DX or Oceanic OC1)
2. A Technical/CCR Dive Comp + Analog SPG (Shearwater Research Petrel 2, Dive Rite NiteQ, xDEEP Black TMX, Liquivision XEO/LYNX, Suunto EON Steel and maybe the Oceanic VTX)
3. A Hose Computer, replacing my Analog SPG (Suunto Cobra 3 or Atomic Cobalt 2 or Oceanic Pro Plus 3)
4. A Wrist Dive Comp with Air Integration + a Hose Dive Comp with no Analog SPG
5. A Dive Watch + Analog SPG + Rebreather Integrated Dive Comp (Hard-Wired one)
---well I believe there is still plenty of other configuration--

Which configuration should I use? What is the pros and cons? Which Dive Computer do you think I should buy?
Should I buy a Rebreather Compatible Dive Comp now, or should I wait until I'm qualified in 2-3 years and wait for new Dive Comp technology?
I prefer to buy one that can last from Open Water through to Rebreather Diving. Wouldn't really want to buy multiple Dive Comps for different needs.

Would really like your opinion on this.
Thank you for all your help.

Regards,

Yuri Rahardi Pratomo

6. None of the above.

Buy the cheapest computer, the only option you might really want is gauge mode. Not all have that.

My reasoning is that you are not in a position to work out what you really care about yet so don't blow a lot of money on some high end thing.

6. None of the above.

Buy the cheapest computer, the only option you might really want is gauge mode. Not all have that.

My reasoning is that you are not in a position to work out what you really care about yet so don't blow a lot of money on some high end thing.

So do you think I better of buying basic Dive Comp like Suunto Zoop or Mares Puck?
It's true that I don't need those High End computer right now, but I said that I would like for the Computer to cover all my growth and needs in the foreseeable future.
Do you think it's still a bad buy to get those High End Com right now despite what I said..?

Would really like to hear more opinion on this.

To a point, I agree with Ken. A basic Nitrox (if you decide you want to do that) compatable computer is more than enough right now. Take your time to get familiar with it, learn the algorithms. Most of the bells & whistles on the more advanced units are not anything you would use anytime soon. Once you get a fair amount of dives under you, then start researching what you want to do in diving, then get with an instructor that teaches those branches, you wish to pursue,.... They will point you in the right direction to what insturmantation will work best for your style of diving.

I have used Genesis (basic rec), Dive Rite (Tech), Oceanic (Rec), Suunto (Rec & Tech), & I currently use Shearwater (mostly Tech).

6. None of the above.

I have to agree with KenGordon, buy a cheap computer like suunto zoop, it cover all your needs in the beginning, it is cheap enough and the resell value of a used beginners computer is pretty high, so all in all buying a cheap computer and then selling it later will just set you back a couple of 10$, and then you know what you need and wants in an high end computer and can make an educated buy based on your personal needs.

by the time you are at the tech level, there will possibly be something "newer" or "better accepted". Get the basics that serve your needs now, and perhaps can be re-purposed as a bottom timer in the more advanced levels. With the $$ you will be spending on tech equipment, the new computer will be pennies when that time comes...

As to computers, here is an example - for basic recreational NDL dives, is there a value in a Petral with a fisher connector (because you might have a rebreather in your future)? I'd think not.

YMMV

Whatever you do... As long as your goals are technical and ccr, DO NOT buy the Zoop as the others here have suggested. This one does not have the possibility of gauge mode.

Keep it simple. (A lot can happen computerwise in 2-3 years)

For a first computer I too suggest an inexpensive recreational computer that has Nitrox capabilities. I rather see a newly certified diver focus on the diving principles and use a Zoop then buy an expensive computer. Spend your money on diving than on cool toys for diving.

I teach with the Zoop and dive personally with either a Cobalt or Petrel, depending how I am diving. But there is a Hugh difference between my experience level and new divers.

Just my thoughts...

Get the Mares Puck, cheap, does Nitrox and gauge mode. It will do you for some time. Find it cheap on the internet, and keep as a back-up if you ever need a more advanced computer.

Is there a good reason not to buy this when its less than $200, or possibly new for 110euro out of Italy!

Why no Zoop or Puck on the survey, you really want the full spectrum.

Well, because at first I was looking for a high end com.. Will alter the Poll later.. :)

Btw, where is the site that sells Puck for 110 EUR..? I once see it at scubastore/diveinn for USD 112 but right now it's gone..
There is a Mares Puck Pro for USD 165..
Will also look for price locally since Mares Distributor here is having a sale this April..

Back
Top Bottom