Can Suuntos be adjusted to not be as conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I've heard a lot of people complain about the Suunto computers on here because they're so conservative compared to other brands. Can't this be adjusted by just switching your pO2?

You could ignore the computer and stay down longer. You'll just increase your risk of DCS.

So I've heard a lot of people complain about the Suunto computers on here because they're so conservative compared to other brands. Can't this be adjusted by just switching your pO2?

It can...

it "can" but it's not a good idea. Best to just not dive that computer if you don't like it. Screwing with your PO2's is a recipe to get bent at some point or another. The other issue with doing that is to make the computer less conservative, you have to decrease your PN2, in nitrox this is done by increasing your PO2. What happens if you are diving a mix that is the "Best Mix" for that dive? You will then be violating your EAD, and because we don't know how Suunto's algorithm actually works, that could incur a lockout when you get back to the surface. If you want full control over the conservatism you pretty much have to dive either tables or a computer with adjustable GF's.

You could ignore the computer and stay down longer. You'll just increase your risk of DCS.

No, not if you understand deco theory and do not just rely on what a computer is telling you. It's never a good idea not understanding what your computer is telling you and just follow it's instructions.

As far as the computer goes: why would you want to dive with a computer you clearly don't rely on? That's really dangerous. The danger of not following/relying on computer instructions and not having thorough knowledge of deco theory to do the math yourself is a recipe for trouble.

My issue with Suuntos isn't that they're "conservative." My issue is they're unpredictable and penalize you randomly. Learning to squeeze more bottom time out of your Suunto means learning how to appease it. Don't do sawtooth profiles, reverse profiles, short SITs, etc. On a single dive of square profile they're really not conservative. However, they start adding really unpredictable fudge factors arbitrarily.

While the Suuntos are generally conservative, you can change it to be MORE conservative than it already is.
The only model with the MORE AND the LESS conservative settings it the HelO2, the tech trimix computer. On the -2 setting, it isn't too far off from the Oceanics.

Netdoc asked the Suunto Engineers from Finland why their computers were so conservative. Netdoc's point was that the divers on Suuntos were usually causing everyone to end the dives early or would incur deco when the other divers did not. The response he got was (image a heavy Finnish accent) was, "eeet eees verry cuooold een Feenlaund, vee must be moost conservative". About 6 months later, Netdoc received a Hel02 in the mail to try out. And set at -2, it ran very close to the Oceanic.

So, "eeef ees verry cuoold, be moore conservative". And if in FL where it's warm, dive long.

My issue with Suuntos isn't that they're "conservative." My issue is they're unpredictable and penalize you randomly. Learning to squeeze more bottom time out of your Suunto means learning how to appease it. Don't do sawtooth profiles, reverse profiles, short SITs, etc. On a single dive of square profile they're really not conservative. However, they start adding really unpredictable fudge factors arbitrarily.

Good description, though I think "randomly" and "arbitrarily" are incorrect. It's an algorithm--it inherently works the same way every time. Nothing random or arbitrary. Unpredictable to all who are not Suunto engineers, yes. I think "opaque" is a good word for Suunto RGBM, as opposed to open or published models like Buhlmann ZH-L16.

I found the not important thing with my Suunto Gekko was to have a minimum 60 minute, or better was more, surface interval. If I began a dive at anything less than 60 minutes it would cut severely into my NDL time. I believe this was stated in the manual that came with it.

I've done several week long dive trips doing up to six dives per day, each in the hour long range, without it going into deco. Understanding your computer is key to being happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom