Best Wrist Computer For $500?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok I know I've been back and forth on the board a lot about buying a new computer and I'm sure people are tired of me asking, but here's the deal. I had settled on buying a Shearwater Petrel 2 like everyone had advised, but I just can't shell out that kind of money, it's just not feasible on my income. I've come to the conclusion that $500 is the most I can spend. Just some background, my current computer is a Hollis DG03 and I can't stand the user interface and also I make a lot of low vis dives so having to try and fiddle around with the backlight button is a royal pain. I want a standalone wrist unit and don't care about wire air integration (don't feel comfortable with it).

DRiS has the Dive Rite Nitek Q for sale for $499.99+free shipping and I have $90 in rewards points so it would be about $410.
I know it has downfalls but what product doesn't in this industry, is this the best option for the money?

Note: I'll buy a lot of things used but a computer is not one of them.

Second hand Predator or Petrel

regrettably, your DG03 is my selection of "next best"....

What are the features you "must have"?

I REALLY dislike the Nitek Q. The screen is SOO bad, I simply couldn't recommend it to anybody outside of its long list of other failures.

If you're going to step up from your DG03, save up a bit for the Petrel. I don't believe in buying anything in the middle. The DG03 does everything you need and does everything anything in the middle would do. On the UI: Yes it sucks. One of the worst I've ever played with, but once you set the time and date, you just have to change the FO2...which is a piece of cake. Unless you get top-end, nothing in the middle will buy you much. The Petrel isn't that far out of your range, but is certainly worth it over anything else on the market (including things twice the price).

There's a reason the Petrel really is the standard.

Petrel or used Predator. Give up the Starbucks, McDonald's, beer, etc. and put that away towards a Shearwater. You'll then have a great computer and maybe be a little healthier.

I've come to the conclusion that $500 is the most I can spend.

Wait for euro to drop and buy ostc sport?

Well the Petrel does not have USB. My Oceanic Veo does. Never worked worth a damn. The Petrel/Predator is Bluetooth that works very well. No stupid cable to buy or connect. Pairing is fast, easy, and works with my desktop or laptop. You'll not find better support or service either. The interface is intuitive and easy. The manual is actually written in plain English. No engineer or lawyer driven BS. The disclaimers are there of course but it's not like idiot manuals other computers come with that might as well be ancient Sumerian texts for their ease of use.

The problem is that you are right in between the price ranges with $500, and there is no good value at that price point. Either get a 200-300 cheap computer like a Geo 2, HG03, Mares Puck, Vyper or hold out and get the Petrel 2. I would hold out for the Petrel if you are already willing to spend $500.

I bought Liquivision Koan during the winter and love it- great display, easy to see in poor visiblity and 3 gas selection in tech mode. The only downfall- is that it starts in the $700+ area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom