Thinking of Switching to Hoseless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SVT_Tactical

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Currently have an Oceanic PP3 and considering going to a hose-less computer with transmitter. Mainly spearfishing and want to streamline as much as I can. Any reason I should not make the switch? If I go to the hose-less I'll be down to the only hoses on my 1st stage being my regulator and power inflater/octo combo hose.

I think a lot of people who use transmitters maintain a connected gauge as well. Transmitters can refuse to sync, or lose sync, and then you have no information about your pressure at all. With the kind of diving you do, where you have varying depths and periods of intense exertion, I think it would be hard to predict your gas consumption on any given dive, so a loss of transmitter function would mean skipping a dive, or aborting one.

I see no issue with it at all. Just understand that transmitters can and do fail so with that in mind know your SAC rate and consider putting a backup SPG on in the event you do some deeper stuff. With respect to ditching the octo...well if you're diving solo that's a personal choice.

For shallow rec dives, I have dived with this configuration for many years. But I agree with the other comments that redundant systems are warranted for deeper or more challenging dives. Keep in mind, though, that hoses do fail as well.

I think a lot of people who use transmitters maintain a connected gauge as well. Transmitters can refuse to sync, or lose sync, and then you have no information about your pressure at all. With the kind of diving you do, where you have varying depths and periods of intense exertion, I think it would be hard to predict your gas consumption on any given dive, so a loss of transmitter function would mean skipping a dive, or aborting one.

I dive an Oceanic VT3 primary and a Geo2/SPG backup. That being said, the VT3 is nearly 5 years old with more than 500 dives, performance has been flawless. I'm loathe to lose a dive or a series and have never needed my backup, but I could

I have over 1000 dives on air integrated computers with transmitters and have had no failures. I have had many times the when computer lost the transmitter signal for a few seconds but that's it and my Liquivision LYNX has never lost the signal.

I typically carry a spare spg with hose in my save-a-dive kit and could use that in the event it failed on the surface. Could call the dive if it failed on the dive and swap out on the boat I guess. I've had my octo and my computer hose snag on rocks getting in there to finish off a grouper or other big fish and its aggravating. I want minimal stag opportunites and the hose-less just appeals to me.

I have a wireless/hoseless DG03 and I still have a backup SPG mounted under my arm, I never notice it even being there. I have compared the two of them and it's always accurate.

Currently have an Oceanic PP3 and considering going to a hose-less computer with transmitter. Mainly spearfishing and want to streamline as much as I can. Any reason I should not make the switch? If I go to the hose-less I'll be down to the only hoses on my 1st stage being my regulator and power inflater/octo combo hose.

If you want to try it without breaking the bank, I'm selling my Suunto Vytec and transmitter.......shameless plug[emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Gallielo Luna computer which I generally love. Granted, it's big, but it's easy to read. However, it also stops communicating with the transmitter from time to time. It happened last week when I was inside the Vandenberg wreck in Key West. It came back a few seconds later, but it was a little worrisome. Even though I'm thinking about getting a newer computer, I'm definately going to be adding an old-school lp pressure gauge as well for backup.

Back
Top Bottom